We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentCore,  Processing Development Environment (PDE) › Is processing optimized for multi-core
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Is processing optimized for multi-core? (Read 1798 times)
Is processing optimized for multi-core?
Sep 14th, 2008, 8:11pm

Let me start by saying I am not a Java programmer, so please execuse the question if this is obvious.

I am running on a Mac Pro 8-Core with 14GB of memory and a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT.  I was trying to figure out how outside of increasing the memory allocated to Java that I could take advantage of my hardware for rendering animations faster in Processing.  My understanding is that Java does support symmetric processing via its threading model.   Has processing been optimized to take advantage of this, or since processing is pinned to Java 1.4, is that not possible?    Would there even be performance gains if Processing could leverage all eight-cores?  I assume with all the floating point operations that must be occurring this would boost performance.

Any feedback/info very much appreciated.
Re: Is processing optimized for multi-core?
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2008, 9:12pm

The processing core is single threaded I believe, but you can create your own threads, which should span across cores correctly.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1