We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Mother: Library for VJing with sketches
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Mother: Library for VJing with sketches (Read 732 times)
Mother: Library for VJing with sketches
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:20pm

Hi!

Here is the first version of my program & library combination for mixing the output of multiple sketches.

The host can dynamically load/unload sketches, and mix their visual output in a manner not unlike VJing. In order to work, each sketch needs to use a very simple library that I also include, which handles communication with the host. OSC control data is forwarded to the sketches from the host, while the host itself is also controlled solely using OSC messages.

Currently it only works with processing version 0135, and the sketches need to be using OpenGL mode.  

I have included examples to get you started, and some documentation.

On http://www.onar3d.com I have a link to a recent paper describing the library and its use in more detail, and to the google-code page where the open source project is hosted, and where the download of the executable, documentation and examples is to be found.

Give it a try and tell me what you think!

The source code is released under GPL3, however I also include the OSCP5 library, which is under a different, more restrictive (CC) license.  I also use a class from the MostPixelsEver project, and of course Processing. Have a look in the readme-file for more information on libraries used and the licenses.

The download version is windows only, but you should be able to adapt it for your platform very easily. Just make an executable sketch in processing for your platform using the same name as my program, and place the jar files from my distributable in this folder. I could do it myself but I do not have access to any other platforms in order to check if what I make works.

I would be thrilled if any of you would like to help on developing it further, and of course would very much like to hear if you find it useful in any way!

(Apologies for double posting, I was unsure where new libraries are announced. I also posted this in "Libraries and tools development": http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=os_libraries_tools;action=display;num=1221068842)
Re: Mother: Library for VJing with sketches
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2008, 7:03pm

That sounds very interesting- one reason I haven't used processing for VJing yet is that there was no real way to mix sketches on one computer without building the functionality into the code itself. I'll definitely have a play around with it.
Re: Mother: Library for VJing with sketches
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2008, 12:38pm

Cool, looking forward to hear what you think of it!

From my experience in using it, it works without any surprises as long as you use the standard processing feature-set. Straight-java OpenGL commands may potentially mess the drawing up, but you'd have to get into fairly advanced stuff to see that.

Give it a try and of course do not hesitate to ask if something does not work as expected or is unclear!

I am currently porting it to 0148. There are many internal changes to processing so there is some more way to go, but I'm working on it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1