We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › applets dont work online after signing (minim)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
applets dont work online after signing (minim) (Read 923 times)
applets dont work online after signing (minim)
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:01am

hi.

i've made a few soundreactive applets but they dont work after being exported, even after being signed (used the little tutorial on the ESS page)

here's some examples:
www.rui-m.com/p5/paralelipipidos_som/ ;
www.rui-m.com/p5/estrela_som/ <-this one you can see the sphere but its not reacting to the mic input :
www.rui-m.com/p5/som_teste/ <- this one you can see some sqaures moving randomly but there should be some simple frequency bars...

and the weird thing is that this one here does work...
www.rui-m.com/p5/teste4/

the only diference i can see between them is that this one is using the P3D rederer and not opengl, but i've tried doing that with the applets that dont work and nothing changed...

they were all signed with the same key.

if someone knows what is going on i'd really appreciate.

thanks
Re: applets dont work online after signing (minim)
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2008, 12:14am

The problem, as fas as I have been able to tell in my own tests, is that when you use OPENGL, the applet exports a bunch of jar files, instead of just one. I think this is probably done because OPENGL requires it. However, this seems to cause issues with signing. I'm not sure if it's just that all the jars need to be signed or if there is no way to make it work at all. When you use P3D everything gets packed into a single jar file, which you then sign, and everything is happy. If you can find a solution that makes the OPENGL sketches work in the browser, I'd love to hear it.
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2008, 3:04pm

for what it's worth, you'll need to sign each file. so when separate JAR files are exported, the OpenGL files are already signed, but yoursketchname.jar and core.jar will both need to be signed.
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2008, 11:17pm

hi thanks for the replies.
i tried what ddf said and signed every jar file in the applet and it works Smiley
here's an example:
http://www.rui-m.com/p5/gl_mic_test/

i signed everything, the jogl files, the tritonus files, the minim file, everything! i'll make some experiments to see what needs signing and what doesn't.
fry: if i understand what you where saying it would only be necessary to sign the myApplet.jar and the core.jar? i tried that and it still didn't work.

thanks

rui
Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2008, 11:29pm

Yah, I suspect that signing just your applet and core.jar doesn't work because the restricted resources are being accessed by classes defined in the tritonus jar or something like that. So if *that* jar isn't signed, it complains.
Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2008, 2:30pm

right, you have to sign *all* of it. e.g. the minim jar file has to be signed because it's asking for the file, the core.jar file has to be signed because it's used by minim.jar, your sketch has to be signed because it's calling the other two.

think about it in terms of security--if you didn't require all the code to be signed, someone could swap out the minim jar file (after you've signed, say, just the sketch jar) with a rogue version that did something nasty. and it would do this under your name, because of the dialog box that popped up to ask whether your signing of your sketch jar file was trusted.
Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2009, 5:05am

pelintra wrote on Oct 10th, 2008, 11:17pm:
i signed everything, the jogl files, the tritonus files, the minim file, everything! i'll make some experiments to see what needs signing and what doesn't.

Just hit this issue myself. It seems you need to sign all the Minim .jars as well as core.jar and your applet. So the Minim files are:

jsminim.jar
minim-spi.jar
minim.jar
mp3spi1.9.4.jar
tritonus_aos.jar
tritonus_share.jar

Whew.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1