We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Roguelike- any possible problems
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Roguelike- any possible problems? (Read 439 times)
Roguelike- any possible problems?
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:43pm

Might be an out of place question, but it *is* about the language I suppose.
So I'm working on the early stages of a roguelike (an old console based ascii game) game using processing.
I know processing is pretty much java, but does anyone think there would be any development issues with using the processing environment for such a project. (In which case I would buck up and go learn full java all the way). I mean, I know java has more power, but at this level I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter.

The only thing I can think of is that keeping everything in tabs will get hard to organize.

Cheers,
Gordon
Re: Roguelike- any possible problems?
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2008, 11:10am

I see no particular issue, although I wonder if you want to keep the game pure Ascii only (output to console?), Ascii drawn on sketch area, or replacing Ascii by some tiles.
The first option isn't well suited to Processing which is mainly targeted toward graphics (it has println but it is used mostly for crude debugging).
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2008, 12:55am

Yeah, I'll be staying with Ascii being drawn. Though obviously there's always the option of giving the players the option to choose tiles.

Thanks.
Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2008, 11:55pm

Processing is Java. There's no difference in power. Just a difference in application.

Working in Processing would speed up your development time, which is the most important hurdle. It takes me a month to write a game in actionscript with another artist producing all the art and animation as well as designing levels. On my own I imagine that development time would expand to 2 months if I was working full time. If I was working in processing I would add another month because the design environment of Flash lets  me cut out days of doing layout and positioning in code. In my spare time there's no telling how long it could take, especially if I got bored of it.
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2008, 11:06pm

I'm curious to see what you come up with, I was also thinking of making a roguelike as a learning exercise, but planned on using tiles.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1