We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Ess audio input on Mac Mini and macbook
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Ess audio input on Mac Mini and macbook (Read 824 times)
Ess audio input on Mac Mini and macbook
Aug 30th, 2008, 6:07pm

hello

I'm newbie in ESS library!
it seems to be impossible to use another mic than the intern microphone  
on a macbook with ESS Lib without Leopard...right?
I've tried also with a usb audio adaptater : "hercules muse pocket lt" recognised in the preferences but not on my Processing App..argh

But in final my application will run on a mac mini ( I don't have a macmini to
test currently). so I just want to know if :
Ess and the line in audio work correctly on a macMini ? or with a usb adaptater Hercules?
if someone can reassure me Smiley

thanks
Re: Ess audio input on Mac Mini and macbook
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2008, 1:56pm

Hi, I am having problems with mac mini and sound in fact. Firstly the "mic" port on the back of the mini is not a mic port at all, it requires a powered mic, whoever the hell uses them. Maybe one of those mics with a battery would do it but it seems so stupid, so none of my mics work.

Now, I also have a skype phone which is basically a usb mic. The mac seems to like this and it shows input on the prefs screen etc. But when I run my sketch which uses ess (works fine on windows and ubuntu) it get this error which is killing me:

Exception in thread "Animation Thread" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Line unsupported: interface TargetDataLine supporting format PCM_SIGNED 44100.0 Hz, 16 bit, stereo, 4 bytes/frame, big-endian
at com.sun.media.sound.SimpleInputDevice.getLine(SimpleInputDevice.java:142)
at krister.Ess.Ess.startInput(Ess.java:354)
at krister.Ess.AudioInput.start(AudioInput.java:90)
at ferox_neutrino.setupMICSOUND(ferox_neutrino.java:4846)
at ferox_neutrino.setup2(ferox_neutrino.java:164)
at ferox_neutrino.drawLoader(ferox_neutrino.java:1261)
at ferox_neutrino.draw(ferox_neutrino.java:1333)
at processing.core.PApplet.handleDraw(PApplet.java:1400)
at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1305)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

Anyone got an ideas at all how I get around this, my app relies heavily on ess and Id like it to work on my mini as my sketches run atleast 3x faster and thats only on one core.

Thanks in advance!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1