We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Making a shortcut in Xubuntu and OpenGl problems
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Making a shortcut in Xubuntu and OpenGl problems (Read 1682 times)
Making a shortcut in Xubuntu and OpenGl problems
Aug 18th, 2008, 6:06pm

Hey guys

In version 0135 i could use the Launcher module in Xubuntu to create a shortcut for processing on the task bar. Launcher would simply run the command "/home/alj/Programs/processing-0146/processing" and Processing would start. This was nice because it's much faster than to start it manually, plus you don't get a terminal window to mess around with for the rest of the time Processing is running. However, with the new version 0146 this does not seem to be working. Any ideas?

Also, when running it everything seems to work, except for OpenGL. If I try to run the SpaceJunk sketch, I get the error "no gluegen-rt in java.library.path". I guess something is missing somewhere but I have no idea of how to solve it. I'm running Xubuntu 8.04.

Any help is appreciated. Smiley
Re: Making a shortcut in Xubuntu and OpenGl proble
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2008, 6:12pm

And I do have the gluegen-rt.jar (18 kB) in "/processing-0146/libraries/opengl/library".
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2008, 7:23pm

what do you mean by does not seem to be working? that processing won't start, or sketches won't start?

for opengl, that message is complaining about libgluegen-rt.so being missing from opengl/library. extract it from jogl-natives-linux-***.jar and you should be set. (this is just an error in the processing distribution.)
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2008, 4:03pm

When i click the shortcut, nothing happens at all. It used to launch Processing-0135 but doesn't work with the newest version.

I will try and fix the opengl the way you suggested. Smiley
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2008, 4:41pm

Hmmm, honestly I can't seem to find the file gluegen-rt.so. If I go to /processing-0146/libraries/opengl/library/ I have gluegen-rt.jar and libgluegen-rt.jnilib.

In this folder I also have 2 jogl-natives-linux-***.jar but none of them contain gluegen-rt.so as far as I can tell.

Any ideas?
Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2008, 6:53pm

use release 0147, which fixes the gluegen problem.
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2008, 7:06pm

Hmm, I wonder what's wrong... I downloaded 0147 on both my laptop(Toshiba Satellite Pro U200) and my Asus Eee.. both running Xubuntu 8.04.

On my Eee with 0147, the shortcut stuff still doesn't work. When I try OpenGL stuff I get the error "Exception in thread "Animation Thread" java.lang.RuntimeException: GLDrawableFactory.chooseGraphicsConfiguration() was not used when creating this Component".

On my laptop, 0135 works flawlessly with OpenGL - SpaceJunk and other OpenGL stuff works. The shortcut also works. However, if I change the path to my folder with 0147, nothing happens when I click the icon. For OpenGL stuff in 0147, I get the exact same error as on my Eee, mentioned above.

Hope you guys can use this info because I have no idea what's wrong.

Thanks a lot for the very quick support. Smiley
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2008, 8:23pm

is your Eee an i586 machine? if not, you'll have to dig up a version of jogl that works with the platform. if it is, then please file a bug in the bugs db.
Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2008, 9:07pm

I'm not sure about the 586 stuff, it's a 900 MHz Celeron (Eee 900). However, the other laptop I have is an Intel Dual Core 1.66 GHz and the error is exactly the same. My friend, running Ubuntu on an even 3rd computer is also getting the error.

Is nobody else running Linux having this problem? Does it work for everybody else?
Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2008, 9:16pm

please file a bug; it works fine on my ubuntu machine but i'll look into it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1