We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Microphone Triangulation and Sound
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Microphone Triangulation and Sound (Read 710 times)
Microphone Triangulation and Sound
Aug 17th, 2008, 4:16am

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this discussion board, and new to Processing, but we have a university assignment this semester where my group would like to use Processing. I was hoping for a little advice in terms of what kind of difficulties we are likely to encounter before we start this project.

Our basic idea is to make an installation work where multiple microphones loosely triangulate your position in a room (or the position of anything in the room that makes noise) and creates corresponding visual output on a screen - so as if your footsteps are being translated into this abstract space on screen.

It's not necessary that the triangulation be like a GPS mapping system - just that the user entering the installation has some vague sense that something they are doing is corresponding to what is being displayed on the screen.

Different variables such as volume and pitch would produce different visual output in terms of colour, shape, etc. Things like the overall noise level in the room would also have an effect on the background, etc.

Doing some quick reading it seems like ESS is the sound library we want to use, but again, we were wondering if anyone with experience with a similar work would recommend anything? Is there any problem with using multiple microphone inputs in Processing? (They are likely to be 4 USB mics)

Thank you so much in advance for any tips that can be provided. Also, if this thread should be in the exhibition board rather than the sound board, please tell me!
Re: Microphone Triangulation and Sound
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 1:02pm

Quote:
Is there any problem with using multiple microphone inputs in Processing?

As far as I know you cannot handle more than two mono audio inputs at the same time (i.e. one stereo input).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1