We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Major noob having a major noob problem- Java crash
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Major noob having a major noob problem- Java crash (Read 538 times)
Major noob having a major noob problem- Java crash
Aug 12th, 2008, 8:42pm

hi,

i'm not able to run a sketch on my mac (10.4) 2gb ram. In the console it says 'Java crashed VM initialization failed for:java - '
'Make sure that you haven't set the maximum available memory too high'
so in the preferences i made sure the 'increase maximum available memory...' is not checked. It is still not working and other than that I have no idea what to do next. If anyone could help me out, that would be swell.

Re: Major noob having a major noob problem- Java c
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2008, 12:52am

Can you run other java programs on your mac?

What happens if you open Terminal.app and type "java -version"?

Have you checked Console.app to see if any error messages are printed?

Have you tried a reboot?

Which version of 10.4 are you running? Have you installed all updates (Java updates, etc.)

PPC or Intel?
Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2008, 12:08am

i'm running on 10.4.10 PPC and have java updated.
if I type java -version in terminal it says 'segmentation fault'. Iv'e tried a reboot several times.
I really don't think it has anything to do with memory so i don't know why java keeps crashing.
Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2008, 12:32am

That means your Java installation is hosed. Try reinstalling the latest Java update for OS X 10.4 and that might fix it. And make sure you don't have pre-release versions of Java installed that might be causing problems. Or consider any configuration changes you've made (installing Java libraries, messing with some .plist file, etc.) that might be the cause.

Otherwise try something like this for more clues:
http://www.google.com/search?q=java%20%22segmentation%20fault%22%20%22mac%20os%20x%22&sourceid=mozilla2&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2008, 7:35pm

i reinstalled java but that didn't change anything. I then did a 'repair disk permissions' in disk utility which seemed to fix the 'segmentation fault'. In terminal it now says to java -version is "1.4.2_07" And in processing when I try to run a sketch, it now says "Hotspot Error: update_sharing has failed" "Error occurred during initialization of VM" "Could not find _Xrun library: libjdwp.jnilib"
I know I have java 1.5 installed but i dont understand why it is still using the older version.

Thanks
Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2008, 9:42pm

the update_sharing issue is covered in the mac section of the troubleshooting page:
http://processing.org/reference/troubleshooting/index.html#wontstart
Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2008, 11:50pm

yay its working now. Thankyou
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1