We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Prisoner's Dilemma Visualisation
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Prisoner's Dilemma Visualisation (Read 776 times)
Prisoner's Dilemma Visualisation
Aug 6th, 2008, 12:44am

Hi All

I've just completed my first Processing project. It's visualisation based on Prisoner's Dilemma (an example of game theory) in relation to evolution.

To cut a long story short, "animals" with different game stategies interact with each other amassing points as they go. Once they reach a certain score they reproduce. Each animal has a short lifespan to avoid overcrowding.

Have a look at the link below for more info and video footage:

http://jamesalliban.wordpress.com/2008/08/05/visualisation-of-prisoner%E2%80%99s-dilemma/
Re: Prisoner's Dilemma Visualisation
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2008, 11:49pm

I really like this sort of thing. Nice work. It's a good way of visualising something that can otherwise be quite difficult to grasp
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2008, 7:21pm

I, too, find this quite interesting. Have you experimented with the affects of changing different parameters on survival ratios? For example, in your blog you state the entities play 40 turns of the game when they intersect. Does decreasing or increasing the number of turns make a statistical impact on which strategies prove most resilient?

Also, do some strategies have the effect of retarding or promoting other entities? For example, if you remove Tit-For-Two-Tat from the strategies, does Tit-For-Tat still do well?

When you consider all the variables you have there, you can do a lot of interesting research.
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2008, 12:05pm

Decreasing the amount of games does tend to make the "always defect", "random" and a few others die off quite quickly. The variables had to be finely honed to ensure they didn't all die off and that certain animals didn't die off too quickly.

I havn't done much in the way of testing the animals against each other although it has been interesting to see how new additions react with and influence the other animals. For example, "always defect", would die off quickly against "tit-for-tat" and "tit-for-two-tat". But the addition of "random" and "always cooperate" gave "always defect" something to feed on.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1