We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › processing as a windows service
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
processing as a windows service (Read 341 times)
processing as a windows service
Aug 5th, 2008, 6:05pm

Hi,

I'm building a simple application allowing me to copy/paste contents from documents in response to keyboard shortcuts.

The copy/paste works well so far.
But there's some limitations.

In order to make it works, the processing window must have the focus.

I'd like to have something more reliable.
It says:

- no display window and being able to run in the background whenever i hit the corresponding shortcuts.

For the first part, i found that thread :

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=Programs;action=display;num=1200608904;start=7#7

But it doesn't work as the copy/paste only work when the processing rendering window got the focuss.

So i assume the best solution would be to export the sketch as an application that will run as windows service. That where i'm stuck.

Any help really appreciated.

Regards,
O.
Re: processing as a windows service
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2008, 1:00pm

Since Processing is mostly a graphical application, it is a bit strange to want to use it as background task... Tongue
Beside, I wouldn't try to run a Java application as service (perhaps possible, but a bit memory hungry I fear).
I am not sure of what you want to do, but I think already existing third party applications might help you.
For example an clipboard manager (I really like CLCL, flexible and powerful) or perhaps something like AutoIt (familiar syntax) or AutoHotkey (powerful management of shortcut keys, odd syntax): these are Windows programming languages with strong focus on automation.
Re: processing as a windows service
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2008, 1:54am

>>Since Processing is mostly a graphical application, it is a bit strange to want to use it as background task...

Yup, agreed.

>>I am not sure of what you want to do

In fact, i just want to automate some tasks i'm doing tons time an hour in my daily job.

I work in a networked environment with a lot of user restriction. I'm just bored copy/pasting contents from same files again and again.

I just try to find another alternative.

Anyway i'll give a try for a little c# program that'll do the same and send the exe to my work mailbox.

Thx for mentionning all these applications.
I'll check 'em for sure.

See ya
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1