We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › bad preferences.txt path even after reinstall
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
bad preferences.txt path even after reinstall (Read 358 times)
bad preferences.txt path even after reinstall
Jul 27th, 2008, 6:17am

Hi everyone,

So I tried to tinker with preferences.txt to include an absolute path name in my build path. It didn't work, giving me a FileNotFoundException. I quickly gave up and reverted the processing.txt back to default, but the same exception continues whenever I run a processing program. I even reinstalled processing and it still occurs!

I get:

Uncaught exception type:class java.io.FileNotFoundException
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\processing-0135\"C:\Program Files\Cycling '74\MaxMSP 4.6\edits4.6\performance\riffsamples"\Temporary_3898_4367.java (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

I just want it back to default. What do I do?!

Thanks,
Dan
Re: bad preferences.txt path even after reinstall
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2008, 6:20am

P.S. I am running windoze XP on a dell...
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2008, 12:23pm

I wonder what parameter you tried to change...
Anyway, logically a good re-install shouldn't change the preferences.txt file: if you install a new version, you don't really want to loose the tweaks.
The solution is to delete or rename the file: Processing will just create a new one upon running it. If you have tweaks you want to preserve, a solution is to close Processing, sort both files (the new one and the old one) and use a diff tool like WinMerge to report your changes (except the culprit) to the new file.

Note: your previous revert might have failed if you changed the file without exiting Processing.
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2008, 4:47pm

I had changed the build.path parameter. I had wanted to try to add an absolute path to a folder of .wav files, so I uncommented it and changed it to: build.path="C:/Program Files/Cycling '74/MaxMSP 4.6/edits4.6/performance/riffsamples". It seemed to treat it as a relative path instead of an absolute path, and gave me that filenotfoundexception to a weirdly formatted non-existent path. So I undid the changes in preferences.txt (back to default), but the result remained. I tried changing the build.path parameter to other folders, but the result remained pointing to that original change.

My processing directory is C:/processing-0135, and I have been editing the preferences.txt in C:/processing-0135/lib; processing did _not_ install a user version of preferences.txt in a user directory like it said it would. I searched the whole hard drive for another preferences.txt and there isn't one.

I totally deleted everything from the old install before reinstalling, so the preferences.txt file is definitely the default. I also tried installing another version of processing (0142) in a different location, but it had the same problem.

So I am wondering if I have affected some sort of Java/JVM path or other environment variable that can only be fixed by tinkering outside of processing. Is there another way (in windows or DOS or cygwin) to inspect/edit what the java classpath is specifically for processing?
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2008, 9:14pm

this is exactly why lib/preferences.txt says:

# DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE, OR DELETE SETTINGS FROM THIS FILE

and then goes on to say:

# These are the default preferences. If you want to modify
# them directly, use the per-user local version of the file:

# Documents and Settings -> Application Data ->
#    Processing -> preferences.txt (on windows)

# ~/Library -> Processing -> preferences.txt (on macosx)

# ~/.processing -> preferences.txt (on linux)

have you checked your Documents and Settings folder? chances are, you have system/hidden folders set to be hidden and/or are not including them in your search, so you can't find the Application Data folder where your prefs file is located.

with a working version of processing, you can also find the preferences location inside the preferences window, it's listed at the bottom.
Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2008, 9:27pm

Thank you, it was indeed in a hidden folder.
What an annoyance I've been. I will do penance for not following the lib/preferences.txt no-edit directions! Shame on my destructive impulses!
Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2008, 9:32pm

Yep, now I have to add something in all caps about "DON'T BE LIKE danI AND IGNORE THIS SOLEMN WARNING" for the next release.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1