We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › Learning Processing -- A new book!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Learning Processing -- A new book! (Read 1741 times)
Learning Processing -- A new book!
Jul 16th, 2008, 4:00am

Hello all!

So I'm ready to finally announce the publication of my upcoming book.  All the details are on the web site here and the book is available for pre-order.

http://www.learningprocessing.com/

This is just a temporary splash page, eventually the site will include all the examples from the book as well as answers to all of the exercises (and some additional tutorials).  You can also check out the table of contents here:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=29622687696

And soon I hope to publish a sample chapter online.

It's my hope that this book will complement the other Processing books out there, all of which I use with my students at NYU.  My goal with this book was to write something for the beginner.  The whole first half of the book is dedicated to the fundamentals of computer programming, with very simple examples and set by step tutorials (with exercises along the way.)  Absolutely no knowledge of computer science and code is assumed.

It's also my hope that this book will help instructors who are thinking about teaching a beginner programming class -- the book is designed to provide a syllabus for a one semester course in programming.

Finally, even though I plan on using this book with graduate students at NYU, I am really hoping to explore getting this book into the hands of high school students.  I have a done a few workshops here in NYC and elsewhere with high schoolers and I really think Processing is the perfect language to get kids exciting about learning to write their own software.  I don't really have connections in this area so if anyone knows any high school teachers, please feel free to put them in touch with me!

If anyone is thinking they might like to use it for a class this fall, please feel free to e-mail and I can see about getting you some advance materials to help with class prep.

Here's to many more Processing books in the future (and thanks to everyone in this great Processing community, without which this book would never have been finished!)

Dan
Re: Learning Processing -- A new book!
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2008, 4:01am

Just a quick update to the above post.  I now have a sample table of contents and sample chapter 1 online:

http://www.learningprocessing.com/samples

I hope to maybe include an additional chapter as well.  Chapter one is incredibly basic and shows how the book starts off for a true beginner.  Some more advanced topics are explored later in the book, as you can see in the TOC.  

Questions, comments, etc., please let me know!!!
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2008, 4:10pm

First of all, congratulations! Smiley
I read through chapter 1, and found it very easy to understand. Perfect introduction to Processing.

Hope it sells well!
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2008, 12:46am

This book is easily the best Programming book I've ever picked up... and I've struggled through a few in my day.
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2008, 7:34am

greetings,

w/ the release of Processing 1.0, is better to wait for an updated version of this book?

regards
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2008, 5:29pm

All of the code in all of the books is compatible with Processing 1.0. We carefully planned...

If you find a contradiction to this statement, please file a bug report.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1