We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Help with basics for writing codes
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Help with basics for writing codes (Read 448 times)
Help with basics for writing codes
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:57pm

Hi,

I am an architect, with 0 knowledge in coding language. I want  to visualize data (architectural) as a design process for designing buildings.
I started with drawing a line. went through the help file which comes along processing.
Following is the code what i wrote:

void setup() {
 size (300,300);
}
void draw() {
 background (255);
 line(20,20,280,280);
 stroke(0);
 strokeWeight(2);
}

what shall i refer to learn basics of coding so that i can eventually use processing for designing.

my hug for everyone cause todays my first day on this forum.
Smiley
cheers for the good days waiting ahead.

Thank you

Re: Help with basics for writing codes
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2008, 8:02am

I think Ben Fry's Visualizing Data is the best book to learn Processing, bar none.  Otherwise, the online intro would be nice to go over while waiting for the book to come.  

There's probably no need to go through any rigorous design process at first, which is the goal of this language.  As such, the language itself is very forgiving, so you can learn a lot by tweaking the online examples.  See if you can find an example the closely resembles the part of project you like to build, then modify parts of it to understand how it works.  Then paste some parts from another example you tweaked on top of it, just like a collage.
Re: Help with basics for writing codes
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2008, 12:50pm

Hey thanks!

I ll do that.
C ya later
bye
thanks again
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1