We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing.as (Read 3921 times)
Processing.as
Jun 26th, 2008, 8:00pm

And now, Processing.as:
http://code.google.com/p/processingas/

What do you think?
Re: Processing.as
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2008, 10:28pm

Really cool!
I tried a couple examples, and they worked.
Then I tried the Noise3D example, which almost crashed my browser (firefox 3, vista)..
So, it works.. just have to find the limits, I guess.

Great job Smiley
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2008, 12:05am

Just to be very clear, this isn't my work. It was posted on our Network Links in the exhibition today and I just made the link here. It's from Tim Ryan. I couldn't find his email to ask him to make the post.
Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2008, 9:23pm

Very nice project !

I've spent some time today at my job (I know I shouldn't... Wink just pasting and editing code in the "Sandbox". Amazing to be able do this with nothing else but a browser.

For info, Tim Ryan's homepage is here : http://tim-ryan.com

-- CY
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2008, 12:27am

hi,

this is of course a great programming experience, especially writing the parser, but in my opinion there is no real benefit of porting processing into action-script. because ...

for example:

-. if i were not allowed to use processing to write an application which must communicate with a micro controller, sending out midi and osc messages, then the effort of the development will increase rapidly. imagine doing all that from scratch in java or in c++.

-. if i were not allowed to use processing.js and have to use plain javascript from scratch for all the graphics, animation and interaction features of processing.js, then the development effort would also increase rapidly.

-. if i were not allowed to use processing.as for developing a flash website with a lot of animation and interaction, then it doesn't really bother me. flash(action script) has already a house full of features for dealing with graphics, animation, interaction etc.

greets

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2009, 3:48am

Hi,

we've been working on a pretty cool flash-powered site called sketchPatch that uses Processing.as from Tim Ryan. It allows users to collaboratively work on Processing sketches by easily letting them browse/copy/modify/share sketches.

It's at sketchpatch dot net , we'd be honored if you paid us a visit and let us know what you think!

The sketchPatch hardcore team
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2009, 1:57am

Quote:
but in my opinion there is no real benefit of porting processing into action-script.

one benefit (for very simple drawing sketches) is that the flash plugin can be used instead of the java-plugin!

another benefit is: you can evaluate simple sketches in the browser - WITHOUT the processing-java-IDE and the jdk compiler etc - see tim-ryan.com/projects/processing.as/sandbox.html
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1