We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › What hacks would you like to see
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
What hacks would you like to see? (Read 4208 times)
What hacks would you like to see?
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:31pm

Hey Processors.
Casey suggested I add some of my tricks to the hacks website. I've got quite a few, and only so much time to rewrite them for consumption (cleaned up, easy to copy/paste, or as libraries). I don't know where to start.

What would you like to see most? Here's a small list of stuff I have in my own library called "Post-Processing":

- threaded flickr network library
- threaded image loader
- textured globe code (probably already in hacks)
- a sucky bloom implementation using pgraphics buffer
- a displaylist manager that can turn any drawing routine into a display list
- spritevector class, that turns any svg graphic into a display list
- a blending toolkit for stuff like additive, subtractive, etc
- a queued threading manager that enables call-back-like behavior
- hacked version of controlP5 and candy
- a terminal / console implementation that draws directly on top of your opengl stuff (for typing in commands)
- a cvar "console variable" system that saves out float values, ints, strings into an xml table so that you can modify it, then the program will use those values next time on startup
- stuff for billboarding
- framerate counter (already in processing now?)
- a simple timer
- a "fat line" function for really fat lines
- various utilities such as converting unix timestamps, flickr timestamps, checking if a string is numeric, html stripping...

What do people need the most right now? Give me an idea, and I can release them as independent chunks of code, or libraries.

Or would people like to see stuff like this packaged as a full library kind of like unlekker lib?
Re: What hacks would you like to see?
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2008, 12:35pm

I'd quite like to see the threading based stuff, particularly the call backs.
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2008, 12:50pm

hi mflux, that's massive!

i think it's best usable as seperate chucks(*). don't quite like the idea of having to include one fat lib just to use a small fraction of it.
some things could go into hacks not a library so people can integrate / expand / learn from them easier. others could be bundled like the flickr code for example ..

just my 2 cents.

F

* edit: as in "chunks" not the shoes ..
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2008, 10:19pm

I'll chime in with a "me too" that reinforces both Manic and fjen's comments.  For me, both hacks and libraries are more useful as self-contained units.  Unless there's a fair amount of shared code -- perhaps the threading things could be merged into one library, for example.

As long as the source is available I don't actually care if you call it a hack or a library.  The only distinction I see there is the amount of packaging for re-use.

I'll also cast a vote for the terminal / console implementation.  I've been thinking about creating some floating palette-style controls (think iPhoto's full-screen editing) for a project of mine and I might learn some good tricks from your console.
Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2008, 7:50am

michael,

thank you for getting this going. to answer two questions:

- your globe code is an example:
http://www.processing.org/learning/3d/texturedsphere.html

- yes, to see the current frame rate, just write "println(frameRate)". this is documented here:
http://www.processing.org/reference/frameRate.html
Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2008, 10:07am

1.threaded image loader
2.displaylist manager that can turn any drawing routine into a display list
3.hacked version of controlP5 and candy
4.a terminal / console implementation that draws directly on top of your opengl stuff (for typing in commands)
5.a queued threading manager that enables call-back-like behavior

packaged as a whole library,sounds great.thank you for those cool stuffs
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2008, 6:31am

wow, sounds great !

- stuff for billboarding
- a displaylist manager
- a blending toolkit
- spritevector class
Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2008, 4:12pm

FWIW (and not trying to hijack this thread) but I've just put up an asynchronous generic data loader with demo:

http://processing.org/hacks/doku.php?id=hacks:dataloadqueue

Michael, this is not discourage you to put up yours too! Wink For example, it'd be great to have one using more than one thread to process the download queue, maybe yours does...
Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2008, 11:08pm

Does your billboarding code keep the image vertical? ( glReverseCamera and others rotate the image differently depending on where you look at it )  If so, I'd enjoy seeing that code.
Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2008, 6:37pm

mflux:

I would DEFinitely love to see any billboarding solutions you've worked out in Processing. I am currently working on something using this and having some performance problems.

I'm about to break out into OpenGL and use Gl Arb Point Sprite, but am wondering if there is another way.

thanks!
Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2009, 9:08am

Did he released his billboarding tipps already ?
Reply #11 - Nov 7th, 2009, 4:35am

so its me again, what happend to all the stuff you wanted to release? i couldnt find it in the hacks.

I would still be really interested in

- a cvar "console variable" system that saves out float values, ints, strings into an xml table so that you can modify it, then the program will use those values next time on startup

- stuff for billboarding

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1