We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware,  Documentation,  Website Suggestions › Proccessing: Rendering the structure of a program
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Proccessing: Rendering the structure of a program? (Read 1626 times)
Proccessing: Rendering the structure of a program?
Jun 15th, 2008, 5:34pm

I've beeen thinking about this for a while and I think you guys should definitely look into it.

I'm a newbie and one of the hardest parts of programming for me was trying to wrap my mind around the structure of how a program worked and the way computers process data.   It helped a lot more once I began charting out the flow of a program with mindmapping software, but I feel like the tools are made for people who are what I call "symbolicists" good at symbols,  where as I am good at pure visualization.

Converting functions to geometric objects and having a structural geometic layout of a program that can be rendered  to 2D or 3D would be great.  My idea is kinda hard to explain without pictures.  But to get an idea you can check out www.thebrain.com, download PersonaBrain nd fiddle around with the object creation and mapping.

I'd love to have an environment like PersonalBrain but rendered in 3D where people can create 'objects' and simply link them like that.  I feel programming is being held back a lot by the traditional mathematicians and symbolicists.  I mean imagine engineering a program using actual virtual 3D structures, etc... it would be wonderful, plus the ability to follow the data through rendering an animation of the data and flagging that you want to track in certain colors, etc.   If you want to speak to me about this further I'll post my email.  I've got some amazing ideas, now I just need someone with the math background to implement them.  I'm sure if I had more background in programming and math I'd be able to do all this myself. Smiley

Re: Proccessing: Rendering the structure of a prog
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2008, 1:58pm

You might be interested by the Visual programming language article in Wikipedia... Tongue

Funnily, I am currently looking if some of the alternatives to FreeMind (in the freeware categories...) were suiting me.
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2008, 3:48pm

PhiLho  wrote on Jun 16th, 2008, 1:58pm:
You might be interested by the Visual programming language article in Wikipedia... Tongue

Funnily, I am currently looking if some of the alternatives to FreeMind (in the freeware categories...) were suiting me.

I'm more interested in keeping combining the text aspect of programming languages (i.e. quickly able to define or write functions) with the ability to break them into units and have multiple people work on them at once within a virtual  2D / 3D space.   This idea has been sitting in my mind for a while, I've used some really bad 'visual programming' languages the truth is many start from the wrong angle. Since it's about making better programs overall and you can only do that by understanding functionality,  i.e. showing people how the flow of code and functions are organized within a visual space.

It would cut down enormously on bug tracking and bad design decisions, and being able to see something 'at a glance'.

I'll check it out anyway though thanks Smiley
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2008, 9:56pm

Have a look at OpenDX, which is one of the links from the Wikipedia article above.  Your description made me think of that tool right away.  I used DX back when it was IBM's Data Explorer and always felt that people didn't quite take as much advantage of it as they could.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1