We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Profiling (Read 1099 times)
Profiling
Jun 13th, 2008, 9:36pm

is it possible to profile my processing code to find where my performance traps are?

Is there a tool to do this?
Re: Profiling
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2008, 9:11am

I believe people use Eclipse (and perhaps some additional plugin) to do that.
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2008, 10:26am

I don't know if you're using Windows or OS X, but on OS X, I've found that most IDE profilers either don't work or crash.  Luckily, things are even easier there - you can just use Shark if you have Apple's developer's tools.  You just have to go into Java settings (somewhere in Utilities, usually) and add a string to the VM options for applets, something like -agentlib:Shark, then open up the applet in a web page, pop open Shark, and it should show up on the list of things to profile.  I think there's some way to add a VM argument when you run stuff from within Processing, in which case you can do the same thing without exporting and viewing it in your browser first.

BTW, the Eclipse plugin PhiLho referred to is called TPTP.  It seems like it's got a lot of features and stuff, but to be perfectly honest, I've never been able to get it to run without crashing, and I've tried it on OS X, Windows, and Linux.  Maybe you'll have better luck, though.

Netbeans also has a pretty good profiler, I'm told.
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2008, 6:58pm

thanks ewjordan, yes im on OS X, im going to try this stuff out.
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2008, 5:50am

For OSX use Eclipse and Shark (free with registering to apple's devel site).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1