We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
About 0141 (Read 1894 times)
About 0141
Jun 12th, 2008, 5:26pm

This is a quick test of 0141, following request for improvement of error reporting... I hope this is the right place for this message, these are not really bugs to put in the bug base.

I wondered about not seeing javac in the distribution, so I went to the code and saw you use com.sun.tools.javac.Main.compile
Nice, I didn't know this existed... Note that header of Compiler.java still refers to Jikes...

I loaded one of my sketches. Ran without problem. I added a right parenthesis to check error reporting. It is correctly handled, displaying "Syntax error, maybe a missing semicolon?" message, jumping to the faulty line, but it displays a stack dump, not so nice (useless info), although I don't know if it is on purpose or not.
Note that original message is "expecting SEMI, found ')'", so your interpretation here isn't perfect, IMHO.
If I remove the extra parenthesis and the semicolon, I get "expecting SEMI, found 'background'" so I suppose it is hard to distinguish the two cases.
The diagnostic is correct for the missing right parenthesis...

There is an old bug (at least from 0135) for badly formated color value: #ABCDE or #00ABCDEF displays a rather odd error message: "Preferences.getBoolean("preproc.web_colors") && w.getText().length() == 6"
Not very informative, perhaps a little improvement is needed here (at processing.app.Sketch.build(Sketch.java:1526)).

Old problem: when one defines functions without defining setup nor draw, we get odd error messages, depending on context. I don't know if this can be detected at pre-processing level.

You might want to update the copyright dates in the About splash...

HTH.
Re: About 0141
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2008, 5:41pm

please file as separate items in the bugs db. i can't track things that are on the board.
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2008, 6:14pm

Not too sure what you will see as bugs, as some are more suggestions for improvement, but not sure if they are fixable. It is more feedback than bug report.
I might file the bug with # color, perhaps the copyright issue if you think it is something that must be fixed.
Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2008, 7:48pm

the "expecting SEMI" cannot be fixed, that's why there's a question mark at the end--there's no proper way to handle that situation using the current preprocessor/compiler.

the formatted color values are covered by bug #196
http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=196

the setup() and draw() messages are also preprocessor problems, though if you get it in the bugs db it will be noted when the preproc is being worked on.

the copyright dates also needs to be in the bugs db, so that the person in charge of updating it (prolly casey or fjen) will fix it. (these are niggling details, but we do want things fixed before 1.0.)

"bug database" is a misnomer, since it also covers feature requests. when you file the bug, mark it as "enhancement" instead of the default if that's the case.

basically, for anything that you want done, file it there, because then it winds up on the todo list, or at least gets filed away or responded to (or marked invalid or as a dupe). we probably need to close this "suggestions" board the same as the bugs db because things posted here are unlikely to get into the todo list.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1