We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Wierd speed issue with compiled sketches
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Wierd speed issue with compiled sketches (Read 509 times)
Wierd speed issue with compiled sketches
Jun 7th, 2008, 5:58pm

I've been having this strange problem with all my sketches that i've compiled.  If I compile a sketch and run it without having processing open it will run at 20fps, but if i have processing open and then run it it will run at 40fps.  Any idea what would cause this? I've reinstalled drivers and haven't had any other speed issues.
Re: Wierd speed issue with compiled sketches
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2008, 6:32pm

perhaps a difference in the java version that's used when running inside processing versus when not.
http://processing.org/reference/environment/platforms.html#java
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2008, 11:28pm

I was running java 1.6 and am a bit confused as to what version of java i should install.  Your page says 1.4 won't be supported, 1.5 is slow and 1.6 is even worse...
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2008, 12:37am

i don't have a good answer, really, as the Java VMs have gotten much less consistent in the last few months..

we've moved to 1.5 for releases starting 0136 and later and i've been getting random reports of things being faster and slower, depending on the setup. for the time being, you'll just have to try things out and see what works for your system.

if this is application uses OpenGL, you might also check to see if there's another version of jogl on your machine that could be doing things differently.
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2008, 4:47am

after doing several tests it seems i've gotten the best results using java 1.6 beta the worst results where from ver 1.5.  I ran tests on a compiled sketch using ver 1.4 , 1.5 and 1.6  Every test gave me different results depending if processing was open in the background.

ver 1.4 = 30fps
ver 1.4 with processing in running the background = 32fps

ver 1.5 = 17fps
ver 1.5 with processing in running the background = 35fps

ver 1.6 = 48fps
ver 1.6 with processing in running the background = 52fps

I understand why there would be speed issues while running different versions of java but it seems kind of strange that just having processing open (not running anything) would make a compiled sketch run faster.  Does processing load up certain libraries when it's open?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1