We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › Books about Processing - How do they differ
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Books about Processing - How do they differ? (Read 1168 times)
Books about Processing - How do they differ?
Jun 6th, 2008, 3:19am

Hello,

I've just recently discovered Processing and I have been looking at the books available.

I'm interested in finding out the similarities and differences, of these books:

"Processing: A Programming Handbook for Visual Designers and Artists", by Casey Reas and Ben Fry

"Processing:  Creative Coding and Computational Art" by Ira Greenberg

"Visualizing Data" by Ben Fry

Is there a lot of overlap among these three books?  What are the unique aspects of each of them compared to the others?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Re: Books about Processing - How do they differ?
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2008, 12:54pm

I think the differences are made clear by spending a few minutes with each book's table of contents and reading the book descriptions on each publisher's website. Two of the books also have sample chapter downloads. In my opinion, they are all great books and each one has its own audience.
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2008, 4:52am

REAS wrote on Jun 6th, 2008, 12:54pm:
I think the differences are made clear by spending a few minutes with each book's table of contents and reading the book descriptions on each publisher's website. Two of the books also have sample chapter downloads. In my opinion, they are all great books and each one has its own audience.

Thanks, though I already did the research before I posted; I read the sample chapters and tables of contents for each book. They all are interesting, but I finally decided on the Processing Handbook today - The fact that there are exercises and interviews sold it to me.  Smiley  I was lucky Borders had all three; made for easier comparison!
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2008, 4:53pm

I also want to put in a very good word for Dan Shiffman's (soon to be released) book. Dan kindly sent me some pdf's, which I've been thoroughly enjoying.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1