We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware,  Documentation,  Website Suggestions › faster/better sketch CREATION process
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
faster/better sketch CREATION process? (Read 1227 times)
faster/better sketch CREATION process?
May 28th, 2008, 9:42pm

** i'm a noob **

i was just thinking it would be cool if,

* the applet gets automatically compiled and rendered as i type the code, so that i could immediately see the visual representation of my code as i type my code.

* would be cool if there was some visual/tactile way to CREATE a sketch. like, i should be able to drag and drop sketch elements like circles, lines etc. and i should be able visually add/modify properties of the element, create behavior rules etc.

Re: faster/better sketch CREATION process?
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2008, 9:46pm

I mean, can the process of creating a sketch be visual-ized?

Now, we create sketches by typing code; won't it feel better if we could create a sketch visually?
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2008, 9:50pm

There have been a couple of attempts at making a "live code" interface to processing, where you get much quicker feedback on the changes you make, just do a search of the forums for "live code" or "scripting" or similar keywords.

However there's no visual code creation tool for processing that I know of.
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2008, 10:06pm

JohnG - Checked out your LiveCode application. Was almost what I was looking for. Kudos to you!

Guess LiveCode would be great for creating experimental art with Processing. Smiley
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2008, 10:27pm

Some elegant, visual way to create Processing sketches would be too cool to have.

Google Sketch-up employs a simple, elegant way to construct 3d models. Someone might have already thought of an intuitive, visual way to create Processing sketches.

Now, has someone created a processing sketch which allows the user to construct a visualization? Or, at least a Processing sketch that allows the user to create something?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1