We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Showstopper in Japanese Vista
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Showstopper in Japanese Vista (Read 846 times)
Showstopper in Japanese Vista
May 22nd, 2008, 7:30pm

Hello,

I am running a Japanese edition of Windows Vista. I cannot run Processing in Vista. I get an error log complaining about a file called "fontmanager.dll". Processing does not start most times. It has started a few times (about 5 out of about 50 attempts, apparently arbitrarily but somewhat more likely after rebooting the machine) but when it starts, its menu fonts are gibberish. Two times it has started and run properly. I have  tried every download option, with and without Java, tried other releases (125), installed and uninstalled and re-installed new and old Java versions, and basically tried everything short of reinstalling the system (not an option).

I have not found any workaround. It's dead in the water for me. Any help would be most appreciated. I understand that foreign editions of Windows are not supported, but if anybody has any knowledge that could get Processing on its feet it would help me a lot.

Tony
Re: Showstopper in Japanese Vista
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2008, 12:55am

For what it's worth, this might not have anything to do with being on a Japanese system. My Processing installation is directly in the C: drive directory, so there are no non-ascii characters in the path to Processing. My user account is in C:/Users, so none there either.

What I think the problem may be (I have no expertise in Java so I'm not sure) is that somehow I may have a corrupt or otherwise unacceptable font in my system. The idea that a single corrupt font could entirely bork Java is kind of amazing to me, but based on what I've gleaned from the web, this seems to be the case.

My understanding is that this problem has been addressed in more recent Java releases, but those aren't supported by Processing.

So, okay, computers suck. Anybody have any suggestions? I've been searching for a way to Java-test my fonts to see if I can automatically find the corrupt one(s). Has anybody else seen issues with corrupt fonts? Would it be helpful for me to post my error log?

There is some degree of urgency here, as I have been asked to write a magazine tutorial article on Processing (which I proposed before I had tried it on Vista... very naively assuming it would work). If I can't get it running that plan could be in trouble.

T
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2008, 3:11pm

So I take it nobody's had any trouble at all with Processing on Vista?
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2008, 3:15pm

"My understanding is that this problem has been addressed in more recent Java releases, but those aren't supported by Processing."
Untrue.
I installed Java 1.6 (way before getting Processing), then installed Processing in the expert distribution (without Java) and it just works fine.
I just stick to 1.4 syntax.
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2008, 1:40am

Thanks for the reply. I'll investigate this approach.

<edit>

That worked! Boy do I feel dumb now. Although I'd tried installing different Javas, I didn't think to use the Java-free Processing installation.

Thanks again!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1