We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Suggestions when typing. (Read 1763 times)
Suggestions when typing.
May 20th, 2008, 7:04pm

I think it would be cool , if when you are typing something , as soon as you start typing processing would give you a list of similar words ( functions ? )  

for example if i  write  stro...

procesiing would give me options like strokeWeight and many more that start by stro...  

like the search tool in vista or mac , vvvv also has this.

I think its usefull , what do you think ?

thanx !
Re: Suggestions when typing.
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2008, 10:33pm

do you think is a good idea , bad idea ?
Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 1:35am

It's a great idea. It's sometimes called "auto completion" or "autocomplete." We really want to do it, but we have some priorities in front of it. We're going to be announcing a plan for what will make the 1.0 version soon.

Casey

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2008, 8:55pm

wow , reas just answerd me  8o  ,      XD

continuing with this type of ideas i came up with this one.

it would be cool if we could drag up or down the numbers in the text editor and automatically it would update in the sketch.

this may be too difficult to implement or imposible as the sketch should be stoped and runned again.

it would be like vvvv , where you can drag up n down numbers and you see the result in real time in the sketch window.

what do you think ?

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2008, 10:50am

While the first idea is good (I have this feature in SciTE, my favorite text editor, although I have yet to do an API file), the second would be much harder, or impossible to do: Processing produces compiled Java and cannot change the code in real time. But several sketches I saw integrate a slider to change values in real time (eg. http://www.eskimoblood.de/surfacelib/sphere_class_sphere.htm )
Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2008, 1:38pm

giorgiomartini, if I understand you correctly, you can use the controlP5 library to do your second request. Adding sliders and textboxes to your app and linking them directly to variables is really easy so you can change all of your variables in runtime. The values you set them to at runtime are not saved with the sketch.. but you can play in runtime and jot down the values you like. All you gotta do is:

controlP5 = new ControlP5(this);
controlP5.addSlider("myVariable1", 0, 1, myVariable1, 20, 20, 300, 15);
controlP5.addSlider("myVariable2", 1, 20, myVariable2, 20, 40, 300, 15);

and thats it, the rest is automatic. So now there are two sliders, one ranging from 0 to 1 and controlling the variable myVariable1. And the other one ranging from 1 to 20 and controlling myVariable2.

If you want events triggered depending on specific sliders (e.g. if when a variable is changed, you need to reallocate an array or something) - you can give the controllers id's. And then in an event callback (ControlEvent) check against the controller id and work accordingly. More info in the docs on the official site...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1