We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Larger font in IDE (Read 2682 times)
Larger font in IDE
Apr 30th, 2008, 10:37am

MacOS-X Intel/Leopard. Processing 0135 beta.

Please I'm breaking my eyes with these small fonts.
I tried to enlarge them but the caret seems buggy then.
Also please add a color chooser for the syntax.
I plan to use it for teaching introductory Java.
Nice software !
Thanks.

-dan
Re: Larger font in IDE
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2008, 7:04pm

If you quit and restart, the caret should work properly.

You can change the syntax colors in the properties file:

# Documents and Settings -> Application Data ->
#    Processing -> preferences.txt (on windows)

# ~/Library -> Processing -> preferences.txt (on macosx)

# ~/.processing -> preferences.txt (on linux)
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2008, 7:47pm

Where is this file located on Windows Vista?

Not being able to tell the difference between the number one and the lowercase letter L is killing me.
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2008, 5:28pm

change the font size from the "preferences" option inside processing itself. there's no need to go looking for the preferences.txt file. you just have to heed the warning that tells you to restart processing after you change the font size.. otherwise you'll get caret issues.
Reply #4 - May 15th, 2008, 4:17pm

AP wrote on May 13th, 2008, 7:47pm:
Not being able to tell the difference between the number one and the lowercase letter L is killing me.

You can change the font choice in the mentioned preferences file.
I suggest using Andale Mono or Bitstream Vera Sans Mono, which  make nice difference between 1 and l (and |), 0 and O, etc.
Also google for programmer font, there are lot of opinions on the topic (Consolata seems to be popular, currently).
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2009, 7:17pm

What about the font size in the interface itself. I am running on Linux and the menus are all at something like 6pt font, I can't figure out where this setting is set, the preferences dialog only sets the editor font.

From this article:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=522611

But I don't want to change my DPI because it screws with other X programs. Where is this setting being handled in the Java libraries?
Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2009, 5:42pm

For Windows users, I suggest "Consolas, plain, 14" as the font choice.  Consolas was designed specifically for programming, and seeks to be easily readable while also making clear distinctions between similar-looking glyphs.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1