We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Minim Lag? (Read 1609 times)
Minim Lag?
May 12th, 2008, 1:51am

I've made a few little games in processing, but now I'm trying to add sound, with Minim. But I'm experiencing significant lag when triggering sounds. For example, for a pong demo, if I trigger the "bounce" sound when the ball hits my paddle, the ball will have traveled almost to the other side of screen before I hear the sound. Any Ideas? Maybe the AudioPlayer class is more efficient than the AudioSample class that I'm using?
Re: Minim Lag?
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2008, 9:32am

Try using AudioSnippet for quick triggering sounds.
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2009, 11:43am

I have this exact same problem. Sounds are delayed by roughly 0.5-1 seconds (varies) after they are triggered.

I'm running Linux so I thought maybe it was an issue with the sound daemon, so I tried disabling that and using plain ALSA, but that didn't help.

Will try it on a Windows box later to see if it has the same issue.
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2009, 1:39pm

Tried it in Windows and have the same issue there. Maybe not quite as bad, but it's still definitely there.
Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2009, 2:11pm

hi guys
i'm absolutly not minim user
but i'm trying to make some stuffs with processing and csound

event if applet is not really fast and there are some delay sometimes
csound gone really good
they comunicate via osc
here manual for osc in csound http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/OSClisten.html
Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2009, 5:02am

Thanks for the pointer but I think csound is a bit too advanced for my purposes.
Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2009, 3:30am

mm... usefull
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1