We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › Candy SVG Library development status?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Candy SVG Library development status?? (Read 1079 times)
Candy SVG Library development status??
May 9th, 2008, 8:36pm

Is candy being worked on currently? I'm wondering why you're not using the excellent java-based batik codebase? I'm just getting started with processing, I'm thinking of porting an existing ongoing actionscript 3 based project (1500 lines) to processing, mostly because I think I could do cooler stuff with it going forward. It uses a (lousy) SVG library I wrote for actionscript 3 - as3svgrenderer.googlecode.com - ported from batik. Should be much much easier to 'port' batik into a processing library than translate java to actionscript as I did.
Re: Candy SVG Library development status??
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2008, 4:16am

Candy is now a core library:
http://processing.org/reference/libraries/candy/

Ben is maintaining and improving it. I'll let him answer further. I know that he's looked at Batik closely.
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2008, 4:16pm

My library geomerative is now in a state where it can load pretty well SVGs.  You might want to give it a try.  However it's not well documented.  But I will do that little by little at the same time I settle a bit the API.

http://www.ricardmarxer.com/geomerative/geomerative-12.zip

I would be very happy to get some feedback so that I can do a more public release soon.
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2008, 6:35am

I see that it's GPL. Any chance of releasing it under LGPL or other? I'd love to try it out on my project.
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2008, 3:07pm

last i looked at batik, it was about one megabyte large at the minimum (might be bigger by now). the idea behind the candy library is to have something that's small enough to include with a downloadable applet (meaning 20-50k). i think the main thing that's missing from the current candy library is people able to get geometry and coordinates out of shapes, but other than that, it's mostly doing it's job.

the whole point is that if you want to use batik (and don't care about file size), then do so. or if there's something specific that's missing from candy, post it as an "enhancement" on dev.processing.org/bugs.
Reply #5 - May 19th, 2008, 6:20pm

Hi chazmatazz,

Currently I prefer to leave the Geomerative under GPLv3.  However if a user of Geomerative would want to distribute their project in a closed source way for some reason, he can contact me by email and we can find an agreement for some situations.

I am going to inform myself further about the different possibilities of distribution, since Geomerative makes use of two pieces of code that are under Apache v2 like licenses, which I know are compatible with GPLv3.

On the other, I try to contribute and port to Candy the SVG parsing features I implement in Geomerative.  Candy, as far as I recall, is under LGPL.  And as fry said, Candy is well maintained and does good its job, which is drawing SVGs.

Hope this can help,
ricard
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2008, 7:14pm

Thanks guys,

I'm certainly learning a bit more about Processing and SVGs. It did help to read the JavaDoc for Candy SVG...which discusses the desired download size.

I'm currently using Candy SVG with only slight modifications to my SVGs (& Candy - it doesn't have a way to accept as an input parameter XMLElement-s in memory). If I really run into trouble I will try to use Batik -- from what Fry says this is possible.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1