We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › processing on Ubuntu Gutsy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
processing on Ubuntu Gutsy (Read 2102 times)
processing on Ubuntu Gutsy
Oct 27th, 2007, 11:55am

Hi there, I'm a newbie to both processing and linux. Processing does'nt appear in the synaptic installer, so I've downloaded the appropriate archive, but I don't know what to do know to make it run properly under Ubuntu Gutsy, can anyone guide me please? I got a dual boot system, is it better to install it on windows? Thank you!

D.S
Re: processing on Ubuntu Gutsy
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2007, 6:04pm

Try searching for "Ubuntu" in the search box at the top of the page. I'm not sure if you'll find what you want, but it may provide clues.
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2007, 5:35pm

I don't think it's in the repositories. though that would be neat.  The linux version is just like the Mac and Windows ones - just download it, uncompress it, run it.   It works the same on Ubuntu or on other Linux distributions.

From the downloads page just hit the "Linux" download.  You'll get processing-0133.tgz, probably downloaded to your desktop.  Right-click on that and choose the option to extract or uncompress the file.  That'll make a folder called "processing-0133".  the Processing app is inside, just double-click it to run it.  It doesn't come with a pretty icon, I don't think - I just grabbed one from elsewhere, I think on this site, and used that for the icon so it looks nice in my taskbar and applications menu.

It's basically no different from running on Windows.  The only thing you lose is the Video library - apple won't support quicktime on linux.  

Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2007, 7:49am

There's a request in the Ubuntu bug tracker to have Processing packaged:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/105492
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2008, 11:03am

ben chang wrote on Nov 12th, 2007, 5:35pm:
I don't think it's in the repositories. though that would be neat.  The linux version is just like the Mac and Windows ones - just download it, uncompress it, run it.   It works the same on Ubuntu or on other Linux distributions.

From the downloads page just hit the "Linux" download.  You'll get processing-0133.tgz, probably downloaded to your desktop.  Right-click on that and choose the option to extract or uncompress the file.  That'll make a folder called "processing-0133".  the Processing app is inside, just double-click it to run it.  It doesn't come with a pretty icon, I don't think - I just grabbed one from elsewhere, I think on this site, and used that for the icon so it looks nice in my taskbar and applications menu.

It's basically no different from running on Windows.  The only thing you lose is the Video library - apple won't support quicktime on linux.  

Hi Ben..

The above mentioned steps dont work. The jikes has some problem with Ubuntu Gutsy. Can somebody please guide me on this

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2008, 1:47pm

To use Processing, you need to have Java installed. I'm not sure if Ubuntu installs it by default. Maybe that's the problem.
Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2008, 2:00pm

When you mean Java you mean Java RE right? I installed it. But the problem i get is with regards to jikes. The current version of jikes provided in the linux package seems to be the one causing the problem. Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks for the help..
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2008, 4:46pm

I haven't got any jikes package in my Kubuntu 7.10 system.

I have got installed the following packages:

sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-jre

Probably the first one is not necessary for running Processing.

Maybe the problem is that Ubuntu doesn't installs Sun's Java Runtime Environment. I think that it installs a different one.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1