We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › processing on a usb thumb drive
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
processing on a usb thumb drive (Read 1483 times)
processing on a usb thumb drive
Sep 15th, 2006, 6:06pm

anyone tried running processing off a usb flash drive or other portable device? much like these: http://portableapps.com/

at first glance, it seems that handling the preference files portably would be the only challenge.

anyone tried this and run into other snags?
Re: processing on a usb thumb drive
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2006, 9:11pm

it would be possible with a couple minor changes:

1) you'd have to modify lib/preferences.txt, the default prefs file, to use a relative url to the drive, rather than the default location. i *think* this is still possible but i've not looked at it in a while. see the notes in that file. if it's not possible, i'll make tweaks to the app so that you can.

2) on macosx, when using the FAT filesystem found on thumb drives, sometimes appledouble files are included that have resource fork or type/creator information. for instance, a file called:
blah.pde
might also have a:
._blah.pde
file that contains the additional metadata. this will cause p5 to crash when it tries to run the code, since it "looks" like proper code since it has the .pde extension. i've fixed this for the (unreleased) rev 0116, but it'd be a problem in the meantime.
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2006, 6:57pm

i made these changes to the default preferences.txt file:

sketchbook.path=../sketchbook
sketchbook.path.fallback=../sketchbook

settings.path=../data
settings.path.fallback=../data

it respects the relative '../data' path, and creates a new folder called 'data' next to the 'processing-0115' folder, but it does not seem to respect the '../sketchbook' path. looking in the personal preferences file it created in 'data', it has put the 'sketchbook' folder in the normal place instead:
sketchbook.path=C:\Documents and Settings\noii\My Documents\Processing

> if it's not possible, i'll make tweaks to the app so that you can.
i guess the tweaks may be needed?
Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2006, 10:08pm

the issue is that the sketchbook folder must first exist on the thumb drive, otherwise it will think the path is a bad one, and jump back to the default location (that's what the error message that comes up means). i've made a note of this in the prefs file.
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2008, 7:54pm

Does anyone have Processing up and running on a thumb drive yet?  I am a newbie so if anyone could point me to the basic steps involved it would be greatly appreciated.  I do have the basic Portable Apps loaded at this point.  Thanks
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1