We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › Nature of Code examples don't work
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Nature of Code examples don't work (Read 1040 times)
Nature of Code examples don't work
May 3rd, 2008, 12:18pm

hi.
i am trying to run the examples of the nature of code course by daniel shiffman. I have installed the vector3D library correctly but i still get an error like this:
Code:
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: noc/Vector3D (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

What went wrong?
Re: Nature of Code examples don't work
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2008, 3:33pm

Ooops, this is my fault. (made some changes to the library and didn't compile it with the right version of java)  One sec, I am going to fix it. . .
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2008, 3:40pm

Ok, try downloading the library again.   Speaking of this, I've been thinking of deprecating my Vector3D class and redoing all of my examples to use Toxi's geometry library:

http://code.google.com/p/toxiclibs/

I like his syntax better (addSelf(), etc.) and it has a more advanced set of functionality.  The advantage to keeping mine, however, is that with less features, it's a little simpler and perhaps good for the beginner.  Or maybe I should just make all the examples use both?

Anyone have an opinion?
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2008, 4:13pm

Thanks for fixing.

/edit/
The library still doesn't work on Windows (same error as in my 1st post). It works fine on linux,

Being a beginner myself, i would be happy to see examples for both libraries...
Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2008, 6:24pm

Hi!

Shiffman, I love your tutorials. I am learning a lot with them and they are very useful. It took me some time to figure out how the Vector3D works, but know I would also like to learn more complex things. I think that if you could do the examples using both libraries it will be awesome. I think it is very interesting to see and compare different ways of doing things.

For people who learn by ourselves like most of us, I think we always have a feeling that we are missing something, maybe because we just learn solving concrete problems. For that reason I think that is interesting to see diferent ways of doing things just for keep them in our mind for future works.

So, thanks for your tutorials!
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2008, 9:13pm

sorry, try the library again (make sure you restart Processing.)  I will test on a PC tomorrow and fix if it still doesn't work. .

http://www.shiffman.net/itp/classes/nature/library/noc.zip

Thanks!
Dan
Reply #6 - May 4th, 2008, 9:59pm

That error is a Java version error.. looks like the library was built for Java 1.5, but processing normally uses Java 1.4. You'd have to use the expert version of processing, with java 1.5 or 1.6 installed on your system.
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2008, 4:20am

I compiled the library with java 1.3 so it should work now. . . something funny is going on with my machine though so let me know if it continues to throw that error.
Reply #8 - May 5th, 2008, 2:47pm

sorry, same error again...
can anyone confirm this error for pc or is it just my machine?
Reply #9 - May 7th, 2008, 1:57pm

Really  sorry about this, it is most definitely fixed once and for all.  I had an error in my eclipse settings for compiling the library, I had changed it in the wrong place!

Just tested on a PC and it works now so download now. . .
Reply #10 - May 7th, 2008, 3:30pm

it works now.. thanks again for fixing!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1