We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpVideo Capture,  Movie Playback,  Vision Libraries › Can Processing do real time video processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Can Processing do real time video processing? (Read 1016 times)
Can Processing do real time video processing?
Apr 17th, 2008, 3:19pm

Nice to meet you all, I am new to processing.
Recently I am doing a project , which involves processing a live video from a camera. My friend just introduced me with Processing and after looking at some of the work done by Processing, I think it's really powerful! So I wonder if Processing can helped me in the project.

In fact, I will have a camera as an input, and I would like to turn the video from the camera to a slow motion version and output on a screen. Also another thing (little bit off topic =P)I would like to do is capture a picture from the video in a few seconds interval, would they be possible to do with Processing?

Many thanks for reading, and looking forward for suggestion. =]
Re: Can Processing do real time video processing?
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2008, 8:53pm

The short answer is yes, Processing can handle real-time video.

The longer answer is that your output frame rate will be limited by your CPU and the complexity of your calculations.  In the Processing app, try going to File > Examples > Video and run some of those tutorial sketches.

If you are taking a full-motion image and slowing it down for output, that shouldn't be a problem at all.
Re: Can Processing do real time video processing?
Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 5:27pm

Hi, I'm also new to processing, but I also want to try a project with live video feed.

I have managed the basics so far, but to follow up from your question, if you can slow down the output, is it then possible to have it reverse back and forth in different speeds (or scratched)? Would it have to be recorded and played back while  having the camera continuously recording? Or would this be incredibly heavy for a live projection?

Any suggestions, input, opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1