We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Typography Scale Size Vertext
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Typography Scale Size Vertext (Read 1013 times)
Typography Scale Size Vertext
Apr 16th, 2008, 1:46pm

Hello,
I've only been working with Processing for 2 month and I have some doubts:
1)I've understood that the fonts *.vlw are bitmap. However I’ve seen these other type of font *.vlw.gz,  are they the same? How do you obtain them? Processing only lets you create *.vlw fonts, do it? Are they svg format? I think no but I’m not completely sure.
2)I want to zoom text and figures such as rectangles at the same time. My first attempt was to increase the size of the letter using the function textFont(aFont,aSize*f) (previously I created a font with a size higher than the one I want to use). But I’ve read it isn’t an optimal solution.
3)Then I saw the example “kinetic type” I’m not sure if there is a lot of improvement.
4)And finally looking into your forum and I found the Vertex library, is it really useful for what I’m trying to obtain?
Re: Typography Scale Size Vertext
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2008, 9:02pm

I would be interested in a solution to this as well.  So far, the best option I've found is to start your "zoom" transition with a higher-res bitmap and then scale it up to the right size.  (For example, use a 72 point .vlw, but displayed at about 12 pt, then "zooming" in to eventually be 72 pt.)
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2008, 8:47am

Thanks, in fact it is what I did but I read it wasn't an optimal solution. I want to make some tests in order to control if rendering is slower.
What I checked is that working with font.vlw.gz the rendering is faster and the resolution better, do you know why?

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2008, 3:08pm

Sorry, don't know.  I'm not familiar with .vlw.gz files.
Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2008, 3:37pm

vlw.gz files are just vlw files compressed with the gzip program. There really shouldn't be any speed increase from using one over the other.
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2008, 8:28pm

textmode(SCREEN) might help.

there is an option somewhere to use native fonts. google it

this will result in vectors as opposed to bitmaps

m
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2008, 9:14am

First, thank you for your suggestion.

I read about textmode(SCREEN) it can help if you don't have to make a zoom. But as fas as I can understand using this text mode you can't change the size font. I don't know if it is very expensive to load different type of letters, in this case the same type with different sizes.

I'll go on with this subject, so any advice is wellcome.

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2008, 10:47am

There are several libs that can load ttf fonts as vector. (http://processing.org/reference/libraries/index.html#typography_geometry)
Reply #8 - May 5th, 2008, 12:28pm

Geomerative library is best for that. Will let you load TTF fonts.

F
Reply #9 - May 5th, 2008, 1:14pm

Thank you I really think this can help me.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1