We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › newbie in town
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
newbie in town (Read 2199 times)
newbie in town
Apr 16th, 2008, 10:39am

hi everyone!

a couple of days ago a ran across processing and i got hooked eversince Smiley well, sort of - being no coding monkey at all (no backgrounds whatsoever) i expect some hard work before i can start realizing some of my ideas. now, i've been looking for tutorials and other noob-material all over the place but have not really found much (other than the material in the learning section). in addition i amazoned "Processing. An Introduction to Creative Code and Computational Art: Creative Coding and Computational Art".

q1)is there something else that would come in handy for the prospective processing geek? video tut, maybe ??

q2)i usually have my work printed on canvas. is there a way to port my future processing work to cinema4d or other 3d applications, so i can then apply my usual rendering routines?

thanx for reading and your answers.

looking forward to start becoming ...hm ... what many of you are Smiley

markus

www.humanchaos.net
Re: newbie in town
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2008, 9:07pm

same here...im no code monkey and want to start with processing, the tutorials and references here seems to be for more advanced coders. I really need some noob tutorial...
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2008, 11:45pm

Hey

I was a newbie a couple of months ago. I began with ordering Processing: A Programming Handbook for Visual Designers and Artists By Casey Reas and Ben Fry from Amazon, which is my main tutorial and reference ever since I got it.

I haven't even tried to find newbie tutorials on the net since I ordered the book. Browsing some of the sites mentioned here in the forums helped me though. The book is excellent and got me to where I am now. I also have the creative coding book, but haven't opended it yet Smiley Being a graphic designer with extremely limited coding experience I found the book by Reas and Fry to be a complete tutor and inspirator for processing work. Everything I learned from the book got straight into my projects. I seriously recommend this book even if you are a total novice. Remember though that knowledge doesn't come automatically. Experimentation, reading between the lines and thinking like "ok, but what happens if I do this" makes everything move a bit faster Smiley
I am now being rewarded at work with alot of Woohoo and Wows from my collegues due to a bit of dedication.

Good luck on your learning and keep that spirit and motivation up!

/Johan
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2008, 9:51am

thank you everyone for your postings.

still feeling like a monkey but starting to like it ever more Smiley i've been working with ira greenberg's  "Processing: Creative Coding and Computational Art" for the past couple of days, and i can also recommend it very much. at the moment i do very, very basic stuff, but i have the feeling that this book will help me move on in no time (hopefully).

markus

www.humanchaos.net
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 8:28am

Hi everyone!

I am another newbie since a few days... I have some memories of computing during my studies, but I am quite new to 'computer generated art'...
I have also ordered the first book but I am playing with examples...
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2008, 1:23pm

Just bought the book myself and moving through the first few chapters... I used to play with Logo as a kid too Smiley First program language I've ever tried to learn. Fingers crossed...
Reply #6 - May 6th, 2008, 4:41am

Hey guys, thought I'd chime in too.

I just got my book, "Visualizing Data" and thought about the other one, but I think this one eases you into it a little better.

I'm kind of a GIS nerd and am always looking at ways to get data and throw it on a map. This looks like a good medium to do what a traditional GIS does.

Anyways, I'd like to see what everyone's done in the past with this, so I'll explore the boards a little more.

Thx Smiley
Reply #7 - May 9th, 2008, 12:11am

I want to recommend Ira Greenberg's "Processing: Creative Coding and Computational Art" to start.Smiley
It´s a very inspirational book!

salú!

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2008, 3:35pm

Hi guys,

I know the feeling of being a bit of a noob in processing, and I can't say that I am particularly that brilliant, but for my final year project in media production I did a website that runs through some simple applets line by line using some of the examples on the website, and also some made from scratch. have a look and see what you think, any feedback is always good of course.

Address is

Http://learnproc.awardspace.com
Reply #9 - May 28th, 2008, 4:36pm

Thanks for posting your site. It is a good format with good examples.

I also am new to Processing, but not programming.
I'm helping to put together materials for a Computer Science I course that has math/computer science majors and new media majors. See http://newmedia.purchase.edu/~Jeanine/processing
and please comment.
I suspect that you can make the examples much more appealing.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1