We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › mapping networks
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
mapping networks (Read 416 times)
mapping networks
Apr 14th, 2008, 10:12pm

Hi

I am extremely new to processing, but hoping to get some mileage out of it on a number of fronts that I am pursuing.

Right now I am wondering if anyone can describe schematically how maps of networks are created. I have seen them all over the place including search engines that visualize relationships and social groups...A good example is the theyrule website...There are alot of them out there. I would like to make my own diagrams that illustrate large quantities of objects with attributes, and then dynamically rearrange the visualization to highlight a user chosen property. This, I presume is way beyond the grasp os someone new to processing, but if I were to start, where would that be? Is there an open source code, or even any programs out there that can help me? I can imagine that the data being fed to the mini-app would come from a database of some sort...I know little about databases as well...

Any advice is really appreciated!
thanks
o.
Re: mapping networks
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2008, 10:27pm

I believe that there is a library for processing to help you do what you want: http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~tohollow/SocialNetworksLibrary/
Re: mapping networks
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2008, 4:24am

thanks. that's a really good start. I will have to look into it.

but if I want the dataset to be my own, and I want the functionality to be along the lines of a "MS Office PivotDiagram" where you can display the same data in a number of different ways, ie sorting accoring to different attributes, is there anything else out there?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1