We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › Serial lib became extremly slow
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Serial lib became extremly slow (Read 587 times)
Serial lib became extremly slow
Apr 7th, 2008, 11:16pm

Hello dears,
I have a problem with native processing serial library,
when I am trying to run any of sketch which contains sort of serial operation, like a simple casting of Serial object.. port=new Serial(this,9600); or such, processing just freezes when printing basic library information like a "Stable Library.. version" etc.
Then after two minutes or something like that, the applet suddenly continues and then running as usual.(?)

There seems to be some problem with port listing, drivers?
The first thing I tried was to unplug all devices from computer and run just the example sketch, always the same result.

I am running on XP machine and I am sure that everything worked perfectly- about a week ago. Not sure what changed - I made no HW changes.

Anyone experienced similar behaviour?
Or its just my weird machine.

Thanks for any idea,
Kof
Re: Serial lib became extremly slow
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2008, 4:24am

I'm having an identical problem. I'm running on WinXP. Here's a sketch that I've run:

import processing.serial.*;
println(Serial.list());

It starts to run, and prints this:

Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7

A few minutes later, it prints my list of com ports.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether or not my foray into the world of the monome (monome.org) had anything to do with the problem. I just got my new controller today, and installed this virtual com port, as instructed:

Setup Directive: http://monome.org/data/setup
I installed latest driver: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I didn't think to test my simple sketch on either machine before installing these driver. I've now done this on two XP machines with the same result. I have a third at my office that I can test tomorrow - I know that my simple sketch worked fine on it this afternoon, but I'm not sure I should be installing this virtual com port on any more machines if it's the culprit. I'm not sure how to uninstall it...

<crickets chirping>

So, any ideas? Anyone?

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2008, 5:03am

One other thing I should mention: I suggested here that the virtual com library might have had something to do with the serial library slowdown, but I should also mention that monomeserial (the standard serial-to-osc application for the monome) and hyperterminal don't seem to have any trouble opening any of the serial ports on the machine. The problem seems to be localized to Processing.
Reply #3 - May 7th, 2008, 12:12pm

that sounds like rxtx not getting along well with xp. in the latter case i would certainly suspect the virtual serial port installation, but i'd recommend checking rxtx.org to see if others have had similar problems.
Reply #4 - May 7th, 2008, 12:41pm

..thanks, I think I have already solved this..
really, the problem was around virtual BT ports, rxtx get into stuck during listing them.. and it was the point which took so much time.

So, to avoid processing slow serial operations I can suggest simply removing all of virtual serial ports and then it would  work as usual..

good luck,
kof
Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2008, 9:32am

Hello,

I wanted to code an OSC - serial proxy for my rgb monome clone.

I read here it could be a bad idea to code that with processing ?!

is there a solution ??

indeed, I'd need a very stable proxy.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1