We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › OpenGL Offscreen buffer for glow effect
Pages: 1 2 3 
OpenGL Offscreen buffer for glow effect (Read 15860 times)
Re: OpenGL Offscreen buffer for glow effect
Reply #30 - May 6th, 2008, 10:47am

the strange thing is that the FBO example with the red square you posted works fine. The FBO in your lib seems to do something different which my MBP obviously does not like.
Reply #31 - May 6th, 2008, 5:12pm

The offscreen thing uses a GLPbuffer that encapsulates the rendering when there is no canvas associated to the GLGraphics object. It's strange that doesn't work on ATI X1600...

I'll try to get a hold on a mac with that model of video card to see how to solve the problem.
Reply #32 - Jul 8th, 2008, 11:51pm

Has anyone figured out how to make this work with the ATI Radeonx1600.  I get the same error message as posted above.  The canvas goes crazy, which is cool, but not the effect I'm going for.
Reply #33 - Jul 9th, 2008, 11:33pm

Hello,

I released a new version of the glgraphics library (0.8):

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=225391

which includes lots of bugfixes to the offscreen mode of the GLGraphics object. Check out the OffScreen example that comes with the library and let me know if it works fine on your computer.

Thanks,
Andres
Reply #34 - Jul 9th, 2008, 11:43pm

Unfortunately I am getting the same error, and essentially the same graphics.  Thank you for the great work you have done thus far!

Framebuffer Object error!

GL_ERROR at render_triangles in: 0506 UNKNOWN
GL_ERROR at render_lines out: 0506 UNKNOWN
Reply #35 - Jul 9th, 2008, 11:55pm

I see. I fixed problems mostly related with properly adjusting the camera, etc.

My issue right now is that at this point I have access only to geforce video cards.

Anyways, I'm surprised about this error, since I'm doing mostly the same opengl operations that are executed in the glsl filters, which I think work fine on ATI. Are you able to run the BasicUse or BloomEffect examples?

In any case, I need to test the offscreen thing on a machine with ATI card, in order to find a solution.
Reply #36 - Jul 10th, 2008, 12:09am

The BasicUse and BloomEffect examples work fine.  It seems to squarely be a problem with the Framebuffer Object.  Though I think that I've used a the Frambebuffer directly through OPENGL.
Reply #37 - Jul 10th, 2008, 12:17am

Well, those examples use framebuffers as well, that's why I'm wondering what the problem could be in the off-screen code.

BTW, there is a particle system example included in this version (SimpleGPUParticleSystem). Are you able to run it on you computer? (I'm afraid you won't, but I'm asking just in case)
Reply #38 - Jul 10th, 2008, 12:31am

So you're right, the particle example doesn't work either, but with an additional error, so that is good.

"
Size of particles box: 256x128
Number of particles: 32768

Fragment shader compilation:
WARNING: 0:1: extension 'GL_ARB_draw_buffers' is not supported

GLSL program validation:
ERROR: Implementation limit of 0 active vertex shader samplers (e.g., maximum number of supported image units) exceeded, vertex shader uses 1 samplers

Validation Failed: Program is not successfully linked.

"

followed by

"
GL_ERROR at tope endDraw(): 0502 GL_INVALID_OPERATION
GL_ERROR at render_triangles in: 0502 GL_INVALID OPREATION
FPS: 9.17
"
Reply #39 - Jul 10th, 2008, 12:35am

Yeah, I expected this. ATI's implementation of GLSL kinda sucks, specially for advanced features like the ones used in the particle system example.
Reply #40 - Jul 10th, 2008, 1:02am

ARB functions are "under consideration" or "vendor specific" ones, that eventually get the ARB bit removed.. you may have to test for various features, and see if the non ARB version will work on such cards.
Reply #41 - Jul 11th, 2008, 9:49pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out.

BTW, I finished a website for the library, it is here:

http://users.design.ucla.edu/~acolubri/processing/glgraphics/home/
OpenGL extensions in Processing
Reply #42 - Nov 6th, 2008, 2:42am

Hello,

after trying to get the particle example from GLGraphics running i've got the error :

Fragment shader compilation:
WARNING: 0:1: extension 'GL_ARB_draw_buffers' is not supported

I figured out that this is a problem with an OpenGL extension. So i checked my Card (ATI Radeo x1950 XT on Win XP) to see wich extensions are supported. (There is this valuable Tool : http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html )
It shows me that the GL_ARB_draw_buffers extension is supported.
Is this a problem with JOGL or with the Graphic Card?.
As far as i informed has JOGL no support for some GPU stuff.
Reply #43 - Nov 6th, 2008, 3:31am

Well, you are getting a warning, I'm not sure if that is the source of the problem.

I think the reason why the particle system example doesn't work is actually because the Vertex Texture Fetch feature (used to update particle positions) is not fully supported in the x1950.
Pages: 1 2 3