We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
P3D elaboration (Read 1507 times)
P3D elaboration
Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:03am

I've recently started learning OpenGL to get into 3D graphics a bit, and I want to try out some of the stuff I've learned in  Processing. However, I notice there is both an OpenGL renderer and P3D. What is P3D? I couldn't find ANY information on it in the website, or even Google. I thought it might stand for PGraphics 3D or Points3D, but again, neither of these turned up very good results.

Can someone explain to me what P3D is and why I should / shouldn't use it over OpenGL for 3D graphics?
Re: P3D elaboration
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:15am

No, you got it right: PGraphics3D.

Processing 3D rendering options (You can, of course, use them for 2D, but they just CAN go 3D):

PGraphics: It's 100% java, no platform-specific code. Very light, so people in a webpage won't even notice they downloaded it. However, the graphics card doesn't do the integrated acceleration, but its still amazingly fast. The developers say it's "innacurate, but fast".

OpengL: can do hardware acceleration, and can therefore get some really pretty results (smoothing is pretty great), but some people's graphics cards can't handle it (especially if they have a broken driver). Also, it requires ~ 300 kb of extra plugin to get it to work, so users in a browser will have to wait just a little bit longer for it to start up.

2D rendering options:

P2D: Doesn't exist yet. Ignore it.

Java2D: The current default renderer, really high quality rendering but really slow Sad
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:27am

Interesting. Thanks for the quick, succinct reply. Is P3D something that was made specifically for/with Processing? I can't seem to find any information on PGraphics for Java outside of its context within the Processing community.
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:35am

P3D was written specifically for Processing as part of the development.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1