We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
new to the board! (Read 1135 times)
new to the board!
Mar 31st, 2008, 6:31am

Hi all, I am new to this internet space place. Also new to the world of Processing. I only know a bit about Java and what it is capable of. I come here with a specific question.

Would it be possible to take the Bird app that comes with beta 0135 and implement it into a web page?

If so, how hard would this be to set up?

Glove,
Brock

Re: new to the board!
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2008, 4:59pm

Yeah, if you just click on File, then Export, It'll automatically put it into a web page for you
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2008, 11:14pm

OMG. Easier than I thought! Jeez, louise!

Now this is where things might get a bit more complicated. How might I be able to go about flying this bird across a page of text and usual website stuff? Or at least to begin with, make the background of this bird app transparent..?

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2008, 11:11pm

Unfortunately, as far as I know there's no way to make an applet transparent, so there's no way to have ti in front of normal webpage contents.
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:59pm

I feel like I have come across adverts online that work this way.. I will try to find one and post it.

know of any good tutorials on controlling animated bits like this? id like to write something up where like, say we have the same little bird.. but rather than it flying around in the same spot, have it appear from the bottom right side of the screen and in closer. then to the upper left and further away. maybe have a couple of them do that.

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2008, 3:13pm

Unfortunately, all the transparent, over the top of existing stuff ones are almost certainly Flash, and not Java.
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:00am

Ah yeah.. You are probably most definitely right. I suppose I could always turn the graphic into a gif. Then have it lay across the page every once in a great moon.

It's a shame I do not know enough about flash to set something like this up.

Is there a way to export this bird app to gif? I have seen other processing stuff done this way before.

http://cavs.mit.edu/MEDIA/00997.gif
http://cavs.mit.edu/MEDIA/00634.gif
Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:16am

Why not load the text and images into the applet instead?  It can even be done dynamically through xml.
Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 2:52am

you can use the gifAnimation library to export a gif file.
http://www.extrapixel.ch/processing/gifAnimation/
Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 4:40pm

Excellent. This gifAnimation situation will work out great. I'll make a gif out of this app and have it show up over the page every once in a while the way Id like it too.

I could also go with movox's suggestion too. Which is a great one. But I think id have a harder time digging into it. I hate being so lost when it comes to programming. I feel handy caped. This girl I used to dated used to help me with all this PHP stuff. It was crappity smacking excellent until she dumped my ass.

Lame dot com. I like the sound of going the movox way more tho. ;( hmmm.
Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2008, 1:42am

Hey brock if you do decide to delve deeper into this i'de highly recommend either one of the two processing books to get you started.  

oh and btw Brock Samson rules!  Season 3 of venture bros is almost here!
Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2008, 2:15am

Yes! Brock Samson! But like a Samsung telephone. I luv the Venture Brothers. Hank Venture. Whats the other boys name?

I have considered looking into sum of the Processing books that are out there. I was looking for one at a couple book stores in town. Can not has... Prolly have to order it online.
Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2008, 2:35am

get them online in pdf form that way you can copy and paste the examples straight out of the book.
Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2008, 5:30pm

That's not a bad idea.

This gif animation kind of hard to figure out. Anyone have any tips on how to get it working proper?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1