We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › getting rid of pop/click sounds
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
getting rid of pop/click sounds (Read 413 times)
getting rid of pop/click sounds
Mar 29th, 2008, 7:59pm

i'm playing a simple .wav file and getting click/pop sounds when sound starts and stops.  especially when it stops.  the click/pop only happens when sound is paused or stopped in code, not when sample finishes playing by itself.  the same problem occurs whether i use the Ess library or the Minim library.  fading out in code does not help.  my computer is more than fast enough to handle the sound playback, 2ghz G5 with 2G RAM, and it's a 15 second .wav file.  

(i tried setting zero crossing points in Ess but got "array out of bounds" error, not sure why, also not sure if this would fix it even if it worked.  snapIn/snapOutToZero does work with another audio file but it sets both to the same point so nothing plays.)

i've noticed it happens occasionally in the Processing Sound Examples too (Sample Playback, Synthesizer1+2).  

how do i get around this?  nothing on the forums that i could find except this, which no one ever answered:

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=Sound;action=display;num=1192395567;start=0#0
Re: getting rid of pop/click sounds
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2008, 8:15pm

one odd thing i noticed (using Ess) is if i fade out, the fade is jumpy and clicks as it steps down in volume.  the click at the very end is diminished, however.  the click at the start is still bad.  but when i add a fade-in too, the fade-out sounds great!  smooth with no clicks.  however the fade-in sounds bad and jumpy, and there are sometimes little clicks in the middle of playback, after the fade-in.  
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1