We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Keyboard interface
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Keyboard interface? (Read 553 times)
Keyboard interface?
Mar 25th, 2008, 6:23am

Hey all! I'm an interactive multimedia major in college, and I am just starting a new project. I am very interested in keyboard interfaces, and I am researching others' experiences. I want to teach a synthesizer keyboard to talk to Processing, so that playing specific notes, minor or major chords, etc. will cause a text-based reaction within Processing, reflecting the mood/pitch/volume of what was just played in the form of poetry, sentences, or simple words.

I would appreciate any advice, ideas, input, ANYTHING! It would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks! - Anna
Re: Keyboard interface?
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2008, 8:44pm

I'm curious, are you planning to interpret MIDI data, or actual sound? I think if you try to analyze sound waves it will be much more challenging. Even to tell if a chord is minor or major would take a considerable amount of work. Therefore I suggest using a MIDI controller/keyboard as opposed to a synthesizer.

Here is a MIDI library:
http://www.texone.org/promidi/
Re: Keyboard interface?
Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2008, 12:11am

Hi Anna!

As alexmillar said, MIDI is probably the best way forward, as this way you will be able to detect which keys are being played and from this you will be able to work out the arrangement of keys being played and therefore the chord. You will also be able to get the velocity data (how hard the keys are being pressed).

I am also doing Interactive Media/ multimedia at university and know somebody that did a project similar to yours (changing the colour of an image depending on which chord was being played- I think he was looking at some Toshio Iwai stuff for inspiration)

If you need anymore help, just ask Smiley Anyway, keep us posted on the progress!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1