We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Presentation Software
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Presentation Software (Read 851 times)
Presentation Software
Mar 25th, 2008, 8:30pm

This isn't strictly a work in progress since I haven't started coding yet, and I'm very new to Processing. However, after seeing so many neat examples of Proccesing being used to display datasets and information while looking extremely cool, I've started to wonder if it could be used to create a Powerpoint-style presentation app.

The text and images for the slides could be imported from an XML file, and the Processing wrapper could display them in a very visually pleasing way, with effective transitions and motion. The XML file could also contain font, color, and background information so the sketch could be used to run a variety of different presentation styles without alteration.

Would this be a reasonable project? I mean, does it have enough potential to begin pursuing it?
Re: Presentation Software
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2008, 8:39pm

Hmm... I don't feel like Processing is the right tool for that job. There's no doubt it could be accomplished, but it'd be much easier with something else.

Slide show presentations are fairly static, and so it'd be unable to leverage the dynamic capability of Processing. Also, Processing doesn't have built in "slides". You'd be better off creating a presentation in Flash. I just don't see any advantages in using Processing.

However, if you want to try it out, go for it!
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2008, 9:03pm

on the contrary... i think this could be very interesting: you could imagine being able to do a whole lot of things impossible in ppt: panning round a presentation, zooming in, dynamic/interactive animations, etc. etc.

go for it.
Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2008, 9:57pm

i would say, write down what you want on your presentation and then decide what will you use to create it.
it all depends on the complexity of the presentation.
flash could be enough, or not.
im using flash for interactive presentations at the company i work for. just saying that flash has no hardware support should be enough for you do decide on either to use it or processing instead.

i have reached a point where ive seen a few limitations by using flash for 3d rendering, but everyone knows that.

plan and then develop would be my advice to you.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1