We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Best sound library? (Read 729 times)
Best sound library?
Mar 25th, 2008, 8:29pm

Hi, I'm using ESS at the moment on my project and so far haven't had any problems with it personally. However I sent my app to a friend to test it out, and it didn't pick up the sound from his soundcard.
He's got some sort of new fangled HDMI soundcard, which is the only reason I can think of that it wouldn't work.

He lives pretty far away, so I can't go round to his and have a look what the problem is, and he's not a programmer, so asking him to get processing, and install all the libraries I'm using , just to try and find a problem that I might not be able to do anything about anyway just isn't possible.

Has anyone had problems like this?

What are people's preferred sound library? Is there anything to choose between them?

Cheers
Martin
Re: Best sound library?
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2008, 7:08pm

I use minim and have had no such problems. I understand ESS is pretty good though. I have no idea what the issue is.
Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2008, 12:16am

I've used ESS, Sonia and Minim, and I personally prefer minim as it seems more simple to me, and there is also the option to write your own effects as you have direct access to the sample data.

What features are you looking for in particular?
Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2008, 10:53am

All i really need is the oscilloscope and the spectrum. ESS has worked fine for me so far, it's just my friend's computer that it doesn't work for. I'm not sure if its his hardware that's the problem or ESS or a combination of both.

I might make a minim version of my app and see if that works for him.
Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2008, 6:43pm

turns out it was my friend being an idiot, he just hadn't got the stereo mix turned on.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1