We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Post an applet on a blog
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Post an applet on a blog? (Read 646 times)
Post an applet on a blog?
Mar 24th, 2008, 1:50am

I made a cool applet that requires loading image files from the server. I use a couple of blogging platforms that don't easily allow uploading files to a specific folder hierarchy. One way around this would be to post my files on a secondary webserver, and show the applet in an iframe, but there's got to be a better way.

Is there an easy way to post a processing program to display on a blog? Is there a website offering hosting of processing applets?
Re: Post an applet on a blog?
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2008, 7:10pm

Why not link to the applet from your blog? That's not that big of a deal. Smiley
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2008, 11:53pm

My question is about the system i would "link to", the place where the applet would be hosted.

i am cancelling my account with the fully-customizable web hosting i had been using, and moving to a blogging platform (Weebly). This platform allows you to post a single file, but not in specific file hierarchies. I can easily embed videos (youtube embeds), documents (scribd embeds) and flickr slideshows (embedded) with special HTML. But Processing programs sometimes require "data" subfolders.

My Processing program requires access to the "data" subfolder for images. This "subfolder" layout is exactly what's NOT possible with my blogging platform. Is there a way to pack the images in with the JAR or something? My goal is to be able to host my Processing program in a single file somehow, instead of requiring the "data" subfolder.

-geoff
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2008, 11:55pm

The data folder gets built into the jar file when you hit "export" so that shouldn't be a problem.

The only issue would be if you're wanting to change the images after publishing the applet, then that'd require re-exporting each time, instead of just changing some images.
Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2008, 12:08am

thanks JohnG, i didn't realize that. I used the pack-up-for-the-web export option which includes the source and data folder, so i didn't realize the data isn't actually needed by the JAR.

cool.
-g
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2008, 3:41pm

playergiro, you mentioned that you could've posted it to a secondary web server, so I assumed you had a place to host things. Sorry for my useless suggestion. Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1