We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Need help installing Minim
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Need help installing Minim (Read 565 times)
Need help installing Minim
Mar 20th, 2008, 5:41am

I'm new to Processing through a class I am taking at NYU's Digital Communications and Media Program, which is called Programming for Interactivity.

I'm seeking to install Minim in my Processing folder. I've downloaded the zip file, then placed the "minim" folder in /Processing 0135/libraries/.

Now it is /Processing 0135/libaries/minim/.

Inside the "minim" folder, there is a docs, libraries and src folders, as well as the license.txt and version.txt.

I started a new sketch: sketch_080320a.

In the sketches data folder, I imported a file: WhereIsTheLove.mp3

Then I copied the code from the Minim QuickStart guide and placed it into Processing. Then I changed the name of the mp3 file. I read that Minim can play MP3, unless I am not correct and have to install another library.

Here is the code:

void setup()
{
 size(100, 100);

// always start Minim first!
 Minim.start(this);

// this loads mysong.wav from the data folder
 song = Minim.loadFile("WhereIsTheLove.mp3");
 song.play();
}

void draw()
{
 background(0);
}

void stop()
{
 song.close();
 super.stop();
}

I get this error:

/tmp/build21124.tmp/Temporary_6408_2745.java:6:3:6:7: Semantic Error: No accessible field named "Minim" was found in type "Temporary_6408_2745".

I tried placing minim in the main directory and in the Processing directory that contains the sketches, but no luck.

Any thoughts?

Best,

Tony Z.
Re: Need help installing Minim
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2008, 12:12pm

do you have 'import ddf.minim.*;' at the top?

http://code.compartmental.net/tools/minim/manual-minim/
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2008, 3:23pm

Thanks, I added the line and used the code provided.

I get this error:

/tmp/build21124.tmp/Temporary_4839_7702.java:1:34:1:42: Semantic Error: You need to modify your classpath, sourcepath, bootclasspath, and/or extdirs setup. Jikes could not find package "ddf.minim" in:

Then it lists all the folders in the library, except minim, even though I checked and minim is there.

Tony
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2008, 3:26pm

Oh wait...I figured it out. Minim isn't supposed to be in the library folder, it's supposed to be in the top level Processing folder. It's playing now! Woohoo! Thanks for letting me know about that one line.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1