We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › video capture / eclipse
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
video capture / eclipse (Read 1997 times)
video capture / eclipse
Mar 8th, 2008, 6:42am

The following program works fine using the Processing IDE, but I only get a blank screen when I try to run it in Eclipse. No errors, just blankness... captureEvent() never gets called... the window is sized correctly but the background color doesn't change.

Any ideas? I'm on an intel powerbook running Leopard... thanks for any help! - Charlie

Quote:

import processing.video.*;

public class display extends PApplet {

public processing.video.Capture camera;
 public static final long serialVersionUID = 0;

public void setup() {
   size(500,500);
   background(30);
   camera = new Capture(this, 320, 240);
 }

public void captureEvent(Capture camera) {
   println("called");
   camera.read();
 }

public void draw() {
   background(0);
   image(camera,0,0);
 }

}
Re: video capture / eclipse
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2008, 6:54am

I found this thread which seems relevant:

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=Video;action=display;num=1203252042

It recommends setting the maximum heap size of the virtual machine to lower than 500MB; the poster couldn't figure out how to get it to work at higher settings. Unfortunately, setting it lower than 500 MB didn't help me...
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2008, 10:25pm

OK, I noticed early today that I had two processes that had hung on my computer:

CompressorJobController
CompressorTranscoder

If I quit these using the Activity Monitor or plain old kill then the applet launched via Eclipse will show the camera feed once or twice. Then the same two processes hang and I have to force quit all over again to get things working.

Any idea what the problem might be or why the Processing IDE doesn't have these issues?
Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2008, 5:40am

So far it seems to work consistently in NetBeans... I guess I will use that instead of Eclipse.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1