We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › Pictures in Print Quality with Processing?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Pictures in Print Quality with Processing??? (Read 878 times)
Pictures in Print Quality with Processing???
Mar 9th, 2008, 12:25am

Hi,

My Program shows a 3D scene and I use either software rendering P3D or OpenGL.

I can make screenshots 3D scene but it is only good to show on websites since they are very small and pixeled.

I would like to tell Processing to render just a single frame in a very high resolution (e.g. 5000x4000) of my scene, perhaps with AntiAlias. This I could use for print, like people in this example: http://similardiversity.net/

Does anybody know if this is possible with Processing and how?

Cheers,
sb
Re: Pictures in Print Quality with Processing???
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2008, 12:44am

The unlekkerLib in the libraries section has the ability to help you create large images with its "TileSaver" function.
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2008, 1:18am

similiardiversity is done with the PDF library but the graphics are 2D, which is easier.

you can use the tilesaver stuff, as johng mentions, or you can also record 3D shapes to PDF with beginRaw()/endRaw().
Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2008, 1:57am

Thanks for the quick answer.

I guess the difference between "TileSaver" and the PDF solution is that the first saves pixel data and the PDF will be vector data and therefore resolution-independent?

I will use this picture of what processing is showing at a certain point in time in OpenOffice Draw to add labels and further decorations.

I guess I would prefer going the vector based solution...is there some other format I can export it in which uses vectors and which I could use in OpenOffice?

Cheers,
sb
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2008, 1:30am

Quote:
The unlekkerLib in the libraries section has the ability to help you create large images with its "TileSaver" function.

Hi,

I probably will need P3D since some things in OpenGL (e.g. the  image method to draw a bitmap image on the scene) doesn't seem to work.

However, Tilesaver works for OpenGL but not for P3D. For P3D the tiling or the camera seems buggy since the tiles are saved in the wrong order. The camera position seems correct, but the content of the PApplet.pixels[] buffer seems to be different.

This means the tiles for P3D have a different order then the ones when using OpenGL. It is really confusing to me why that is, because the camera position for each tile should be the same.

Any clue?
sb
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1