We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Newbie in distress: Bizzare error with libs
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Newbie in distress: Bizzare error with libs (Read 398 times)
Newbie in distress: Bizzare error with libs
Feb 13th, 2008, 10:44pm

Hello! I'm fairly new to processing and these boards, so apologies if it turns out I just missed something obvious solving my problem in troubleshooting or another topic (but I didn't see anything resembling my issue...)

Anyways, I'm trying to build a game in processing built heavily on two libraries built by Daniel Shiffman (namely his Attraction and Flocking modules, although Flocking is based on code written by Craig Reynolds so he should be credited as well).

In my attempts to create a user controlled avatar that used properties and methods that repelled these flocking shapes, I copied, pasted and slightly altered code from the Attractor class in the Attraction library into a new tab in my Flocking sketchbook.

However when I try to run this program, even if nothing is calling my Attractor (which I have renamed Chaser, since this is what it does in my game), I am greeted with a cryptic error message. Therein lies my problem:

What the heck does "@ expected instead of this token", followed by a good amount of seemingly random data mean? I've tried changing names of variables and such so that they match across tabs, but unless I missed something I can't find what the problem is.

If anyone can tell me what my computer is trying to say, I'd be very appreciative. In the meantime I'll be trying to write this thing from scratch to see if I can just do this all another way, but I'd definitely prefer an explanation of what's going on, even if I've already solved my problem by avoiding it altogether. Thanks!
Re: Newbie in distress: Bizzare error with libs
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2008, 11:51pm

IT means you've probably made a typo or have a missing ; or the like, and the error is actually somewhere nearby and doesn't get caught until it gets to the point of the error shown, when it gives up trying to work out what you meant.

Without the code it's hard to say exactly what's wrong.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1