We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Simple glyph transform / typothing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Simple glyph transform / typothing (Read 945 times)
Simple glyph transform / typothing
Feb 13th, 2008, 11:12am

Something I always wanted to make with p55.
I created simple glyphs with Inkscape (each glyph has 3 anchor-points and 4 control-points) and copied te "code" of the beziers to p55. Then, with some help from the docs and examples, I managed to transform these glyphs from one into the other. If anyone has any suggestions on improvement or extending this code, please let me know.

http://www.typovar.nl/applet/
Re: Simple glyph transform / typothing
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2008, 11:58am

oh this is really nice! (it's 3am here, nothing constructive to say at this time Smiley but I love it)
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2008, 1:18pm

Thanks!
I'm still working on it.
I have added a text-feature: When you press ENTER the typed text will appear.
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2008, 12:15am

not super aesthetic, but the concept is super!

speed up the transition between letters depending on the rate of the typist: (record last few strokes, primitive WPM calculator)

Also, make a simple particle generator, and make each letter "burst" with powerful effect (like, emit stars. See: hoshi saga flash game for ideas) Then, it would be amazing.
Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2008, 2:21pm

The idea/question is 'when is an 'a' still an 'a'?'. Transforming glyphs from one into the other might help to investigate the isue. Indeed, there is not much visual 'entertainment' in the sketch. Maybe I'll start a new project with 'particles' in mind... Wink
Any suggestions on how-to manage all the variabels efficiently? At first I declared all float-arrays in the beginning of the sketch. Now they're declared when needed:

if(key == 'a'){
     float[] a = {
       80,50,-50,50,30,290,80,50,80,150,80,150,100,150       };
     arraycopy(a, gEnd);

Is this more efficient?
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2008, 3:53pm

hello typovar!

I'm porting an old experiment I did in Flash into Processing.
Is based on typemetypemenot of Peter Cho.
I was fascinated by your same question 'when is an 'a' still an 'a'?'.

http://www.tezzutezzu.com/blog/actionscript-2/letter-with-angles

Let me know what you think!
Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2008, 11:21pm

If anyone else is doing work in this domain (Typography, letters) then a good resource would be the Letter Spirit project, which goes into depth about how we perceive letterforms and what makes a font united. Douglas Hoffstadter writes about it in his book, Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies. Its really worth a read.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1