We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Cellular Automata and generative music
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Cellular Automata and generative music (Read 2529 times)
Cellular Automata and generative music
Feb 11th, 2008, 5:42pm

Hi,

This is a sample output of something I've been working on lately. A somewhat intelligent cellular automata system that I developed with some atari2600 style sonification.

Poor figure that you see at the beginning triggers a relatively complex cellular life system(which is based on conway's rules but it's not ahistoric and can switch rules on the fly depending on the situation) and I've done some work to sonify the life with atari2600 sounds. I have no control over the system once it is started, and it dies by itself.

Software used:

Processing connected to SuperCollider via osc_p5 library and the great p5_sc library, and I used the Atari2600 UGen by Fredrik Olofsson, all custom software.

It is actually in stereo but Youtube bastardizes the content by converting everything to mono. If anyone is interested in the original, i can send links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYjevNIJztw
Re: Cellular Automata and generative music
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2008, 9:47pm

Wow, that is amazing.  A synthesis of audio and visual that only a computer could love! Smiley  How much of this is done in processing and how much do you ship out ?  I would be very interested in a stereo version, and also the source code / trying to port as much as possible to one language (processing).
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2008, 1:44am

i really really love that!!!
Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2008, 12:03pm

Oh nice! I did something similar some time ago as part of an audio program based on graphic functions (c++ though, not Processing). You can find more information here:

www.nicolasfournel.com\blip.htm

the cellular automaton function also used Conway in real-time to manipulate whatever samples you had loaded.

Nico
Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2010, 11:31am

Very cool. Is there any document that explain how you do it?
Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2010, 1:46pm

Yes, some documentation would be nice!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1