We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › Found package".ControlP5" when a type wa
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Found package".ControlP5" when a type wa (Read 668 times)
Found package".ControlP5" when a type wa
Feb 7th, 2008, 1:37am

when trying to get this library to function I constantly get this error on all the examples that come with the lib or any that i find else where.... what does this mean and how can I correct this? I tried to research first but found nothing on it.

Thanks in advance from someone new to Processing.
Re: Found package".ControlP5" when a typ
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2008, 1:20am

any help at all?
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2008, 1:51am

what is the error exactly? since the title gets cut off.
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2008, 6:27am

Found package".ControlP5" when a type was expected.

it happens from the the first bit of code I know... don't remember the exact code line, but it something to the effect of

ControlP5 P5control;

it does it on all example sketches...

sorry bout the cut off title, didn't see that
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2008, 9:31am

hm, i cant reproduce the error you are getting, hence i am clueless and can just guess, do you have an older version of controlP5 in some code/data folder of one of your examples in the sketchbook? if so, move/delete them, and try again. if this still does not solved you can post the example causing the error here or if too long, send it to me directly.
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2008, 4:02pm

the only instance of ControlP5.jar I have is located in my Processing>libraries>ControlP5> folder, and I have placed the example patches that came with it in Processing>examples>#name of example#>

As far as I know I have the latest version of both ControlP5 Direct from development site, and latest Processing also...

I get the exact same error from each example, or from sketches I attempt myself... it errors on line

ControlP5 controlP5;

The exact error is as follows...

/tmp/build54050.tmp/Temporary_8737_8960.java:3:1:3:9: Semantic Error: Found package ".ControlP5" when a type was expected.

/tmp/build54050.tmp/Temporary_8737_8960.java:12:19:12:27: Semantic Error: Found package ".ControlP5" when a type was expected.

/tmp/build54050.tmp/Temporary_8737_8960.java:30:26:30:37: Semantic Error: Type "ControlEvent" was not found.

--------

The code I ran for this error is the ControlP5bang example as seen below
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
import controlP5.*;

ControlP5 controlP5;

int myColorBackground = color(0,0,0);

void setup() {
 size(400,400);
 frameRate(30);
 controlP5 = new ControlP5(this);
 controlP5.addBang("bang",40,200,120,40);
 for(int i=0;i<4;i++) {
   controlP5.addBang("bang"+i,40+i*80,100,40,40).setId(i);
 }
 controlP5.controller("bang").setLabel("changeBackground");
}

void draw() {
 background(myColorBackground);
}

void bang() {
 int theColor = (int)random(255);
 myColorBackground = color(theColor);
 println("a bang event. setting background to "+theColor);
}

void controlEvent(ControlEvent theEvent) {
 println(
 "## controlEvent / id:"+theEvent.controller().id()+
 " / name:"+theEvent.controller().name()+
 " / label:"+theEvent.controller().label()+
 " / value:"+theEvent.controller().value()
 );
}
Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2008, 12:50pm

Was there a solution to this? I am getting the same thing ..
Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2008, 10:41pm

In the ControlP5 installation instructions it says to put the  controlP5 folder in your sketches folder, _not_ in the libraries folder. It works for me.

douglas
Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2008, 2:32pm

Now do you mean in the folder that the sketch is saved in or your sketch book? I tried placing all of that stuff everywhere I could think, still same error...  Sad dev said he has not tested on leopard OSX so if anyone can confirm that it works for them that would be awesome, and I will keep at it myself. Honestly, I don't really need it for what I am making at the moment so I kinda put it to the side. Answers always bring new surprises though...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1