We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Code profiler for Processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Code profiler for Processing? (Read 679 times)
Code profiler for Processing?
Jan 22nd, 2008, 2:04am

I'm not entirely sure which forum is best for this question, so I'll cross my fingers and go with this one.

Anyone have a recommendation for code profiling tools (preferably free) that integrate well with Processing? I'm struggling with a piece that's slower than I think it ought to be, and I'd love to use some tools to help me figure out where it's spending most of its CPU cycles.

Thanks,
Egg
Re: Code profiler for Processing?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:43am

Wrong forum I think.

Any java profiler would do. I use Shark on Mac OSX, free from Apple's site. It's a bit shaky and runs out of memory real fast but if you can minimize your problem area to and specify your tests you can get Shark to tell you exactly what lines of code is taking up % of process time.

I've only tried this from compilations in Eclipse and I haven't tried using Shark with processing pde sketchbook.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1